|Born||Ronald W. McLarty
April 26, 1947
Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.
Ron McLarty (born April 26, 1947) is an American actor, playwright and author.
McLarty began his career in theatre during the early 1970s with one his earliest professional performances being the role of Lucky in Michael Weller's Moonchildren for the play's American premiere at the Arena Stage in Washington D.C. in November 1971. McLarty continued with the production when it moved to Broadway in 1972.
Character actors Richard Jaeckel and Ron McLarty also co-starred as Spenser's police contacts (TV show "Spenser For Hire"), Boston homicide detectives Lt. Martin Quirk and Sgt. Frank Belson, respectively. Spenser was a cop himself 8 years previously
Although he enjoyed a successful career as an actor, he had not had much luck finding a publisher for his novel The Memory of Running, until Stephen King happened upon an audiobook version (narrated by McLarty himself), and praised it as "the best book you can't read". This led to the book's publication by Viking Press, and its rapid rise to bestseller status. McLarty is an accomplished narrator - besides Running, he has provided the narrative for a number of audiobooks, including Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and the unabridged audiobook Decision Points by George W. Bush (the abridged version is narrated by the former president himself).
A graduate of Rhode Island College, class of 1969, Mr. McLarty was commencement speaker and received a Doctor of Humanities degree from RIC in 2007.
- The Dropper. New York: Random House, Books on Tape, 2009 (audio book), ISBN 0-307-70459-9
- Art in America. New York: Viking Press, 2008, ISBN 0-670-01895-3
- Traveler. New York: Viking Press, 2007, ISBN 0-670-03474-6
- The Memory of Running. New York: Viking Press, 2004, ISBN 0-670-03363-4
- 2007: Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as Joseph Malloy
- 2005: Into The Fire as Walter Hartwig, Sr.
- 1991: A Little Piece of Heaven as Agent Mr. Jack Daniels
- 1991: Law & Order as Mr Scoler
- 1997: The Postman as Old George
- 1985–1988: Spenser: For Hire as Sgt. Frank Belson
A partial list just to show some of the breadth of his work.
|The Memory of Running||Ron McLarty||UNABRIDGED||Ron McLarty||2004-01-16|
|Zero Day||David Baldacci||UNABRIDGED||Ron McLarty, Orlagh Cassidy||2011-04-11|
|Brian's Hunt||Gary Paulsen||UNABRIDGED||Ron McLarty||2003-12-23|
|The Gift||Danielle Steel||UNABRIDGED||Ron McLarty||2012-07-20|
|Salem's Lot||Stephen King||UNABRIDGED||Ron McLarty||2008-02-05|
|Valhalla Rising: A Dirk Pitt Adventure||Clive Cussler||ABRIDGED||Ron McLarty||2001-08-13|
|The Great Brain||John D. Fitzgerald||UNABRIDGED||Ron McLarty||2002-05-28|
- MacDonald, Jay. "Book Page feature and interview with McLarty". Retrieved 2008-03-09.