|Permanent Representative of Israel to the United Nations|
8 June 2011
|Prime Minister||Benjamin Netanyahu|
|Preceded by||Meron Reuben|
|15th Israeli Ambassador to the United Kingdom|
|Prime Minister||Ehud Olmert
|Preceded by||Zvi Heifetz|
|Succeeded by||Daniel Taub|
|Born||11 October 1958
Kfar Saba, Israel
|Alma mater||Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|Occupation||Diplomat, writer, columnist|
Ron Prosor (Hebrew: רון פרושאור; born 11 October 1958) is an Israeli diplomat, writer, and columnist. He currently serves as Israel's Permanent Representative to the United Nations. He has previously served as Israel's Ambassador to the United Kingdom, and Director-General of Israel's Foreign Ministry.
Diplomatic career and previous postings
With almost three decades of experience at the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Prosor has carved out an international reputation as one of Israel’s most distinguished diplomats. His overseas service also includes roles in Washington, Bonn, and London.
Before arriving to the United Nations, Mr. Prosor served as Israel’s Ambassador to the United Kingdom, where he earned plaudits for his articulate and forthright defense of Israel's position, publishing numerous articles throughout the British press and appearing on television outlets including the BBC and Sky News. Mr. Prosor also addressed a wide range of audiences throughout the country, including at universities and think tanks.
Permanent Representative to the United Nations
Since becoming Israel’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Mr. Prosor has continued to be an outspoken proponent for the State of Israel. He is renowned for his erudite and forthright speeches on a diverse range of topics from security to development.
A prolific writer and commentator, Mr. Prosor has published in leading international publications, including the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times, and appeared regularly on CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC.
Since becoming Israel’s envoy to the UN, Mr. Prosor has held a series of notable positions, including Vice President of the General Assembly and Chair of the United Nations Human Rights Committee. Mr. Prosor called for the first-ever General Assembly session on Antisemitism and oversaw the adoption of two landmark resolutions on entrepreneurship and agriculture that passed with an overwhelming majority.
On June 8, 2012 Ambassador Prosor was elected as a Vice President of the United Nations General Assembly.
He is a prolific writer and commentator on Israel and the Middle East. His articles have appeared in The Wall Street Journal, The Huffington Post, The Daily Telegraph, The Times, The Sun and The Guardian.
As an officer in the Artillery Division of the IDF, Mr. Prosor attained the rank of Major and he is a graduate of the IDF Battalion Commanders. He holds a Master's degree in Political Science from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, graduating with distinction. Prosor is married to Hadas and they are the proud parents of Lior, Tomer and Oren, and doting grandparents to baby Amit.
- Jenni Frazer (26 May 2011). "Interview: Ron Proser". The Jewish Chronicle Online. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Netanyahu names permanent envoy to UN
- Prosor, Ron. "Fuel for thought in Gaza". Huffington Post.
- Prosor, Ron (21 March 2012). "Tolerating Hamas Invites a Mideast War". The Wall Street Journal.
- 'Commentary: The response to Israel's announcement is disproportionate', Daily Telegraph, 18 March 2010
- 'Restore common sense to common law', Daily Telegraph, 21 December 2009
- 'Hamas is leading Palestine down the road of carnage', Daily Telegraph, 25 August 2009
- 'Macca hits number 1 in Tel Aviv', Daily Telegraph, 26 September 2008
- 'Britain is our friend and ally in freedom, Daily Telegraph, 18 July 2008
- 'Britain is a hotbed of anti-Israeli sentiment, Daily Telegraph, 10 June 2008
- 'A farcical attempt to paint Israel black', The Times, 29 September 2009
- 'Hey Judaism (section 'My view')', The Sun, 25 September 2008
- 'A taboo that harms Arabs too', The Guardian, 20 April 2010
- 'A peace initiative for Israel and Palestine', The Guardian, 9 December 2008
- 'Showboating over Gaza', The Guardian, 28 August 2008
- Permanent Mission of Israel to the United Nations
- Ron Prosor on Facebook
- Israel in the UN on Facebook
- Israel in the UN on Twitter