|Permanent Representative of Israel to the United Nations|
8 June 2011
|Prime Minister||Benjamin Netanyahu|
|Preceded by||Meron Reuben|
|15th Israeli Ambassador to the United Kingdom|
|Prime Minister||Ehud Olmert
|Preceded by||Zvi Heifetz|
|Succeeded by||Daniel Taub|
|Born||11 October 1958
Kfar Saba, Israel
|Alma mater||Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|Occupation||Diplomat, writer, columnist|
Ron Prosor (Hebrew: רון פרושאור; born 11 October 1958) is an Israeli diplomat, writer, and columnist. He is a diplomat who currently serves as Israel's Permanent Representative to the United Nations. He has previously served as Israel's Ambassador to the United Kingdom, and Director-General of Israel's Foreign Ministry.
Diplomatic career and previous postings
Prior to his appointment as Permanent Representative of Israel to the UN, Prosor served for nearly four years as Israel's Ambassador to the United Kingdom, where he earned plaudits for his articulate and forthright defense of Israel's position, publishing numerous articles throughout the British press and addressing the widest possible range of audiences throughout the country.
Prosor served as Deputy Director General of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for Strategic Affairs, Counter Terrorism and Nuclear Disarmament in 2003, Chief of Staff to the Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom from 2003-4, and Senior Deputy Director General of the Ministry in 2004. Between 2004 and 2007, Mr. Prosor served as the Director General of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. During that time, he commissioned an El-Al flight to deliver aid to post-tsunami Sri Lanka and Indonesia, countries which had no diplomatic relations with Israel, which later led to their first political dialogue. He initiated resumed diplomatic negotiations with the Vatican and coordinated Israel's accession to UNESCO in 2007.
His overseas service has included roles in Washington, London and Bonn. Prosor was instrumental in establishing diplomatic relations behind the Iron Curtain following the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. He was also a member of Israel's delegation to the Wye River Memorandum Summit talks in 1998. Prosor served in Washington between 1998 and 2002 as the Minister-Counselor for Political Affairs at the Israeli Embassy, throughout the transition from the Clinton to Bush administrations after the presidential elections of 2000.
Permanent Representative to the United Nations
Ambassador Prosor became Israel's 16th Permanent Representative to the United Nations in June 2011, after being appointed in February 2011. Upon his arrival to New York in June 2011, he was tasked with coordinating Israel's response to the Palestinian unilateral statehood bid. Prosor quickly became known for his colorful speaking style, which he used to address a wide range of issues, ranging from gender equality, development in Africa, and peace and security in the Middle East. Prosor also frequently voiced Israel's opposition to the actions of the Assad Regime during the civil strife in Syria, speaking out in the UN General Assembly and Security Council. Prosor has complained that the UN has not done enough for other civilians under siege and for their inaction on the Gaza strip.
On June 8, 2012 Ambassador Prosor was elected as a Vice President of the United Nations General Assembly.
Prosor has been hailed as the "King of the Diplomatic Quip" due to his colorful speaking style.
He is a prolific writer and commentator on Israel and the Middle East. His articles have appeared in The Wall Street Journal, The Huffington Post, The Daily Telegraph, The Times, The Sun and The Guardian. He is also regularly invited to comment in Britain's Jewish press, including The Jewish Chronicle and The Jewish News.
As an officer in the Artillery Division of the IDF, Prosor attained the rank of Major. He holds a Masters degree in Political Science from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, graduating with distinction. He is married to Hadas with whom he has three children.
- Jenni Frazer (26 May 2011). "Interview: Ron Proser". The Jewish Chronicle Online. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Netanyahu names permanent envoy to UN
- "Interview: Ambassador Ron Prosor". The Jewish Chronicle.
- 'Israeli aid lands in Sri Lanka', Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 12 Jan 2005
- 'Israel and Sri Lanka hold first political dialogue', Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 6 November 2006
- 'Israel and Vatican discuss comprehensive agreement', Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 24 November 2005
- 'Israel to join UN Economic and Social Council committee', Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs, May 2006
- Belinda Cooper, 'Introducing the Shoah to East Germans, Jerusalem Post, 24 December 1990
- "Prosor calls on UN to separate myth from fact in the Middle East". The Jerusalem Post. 2012-04-23.
- "Ron Prosor asks UN to censure Gaza rocket attacks". The Jerusalem Post. 28 October 2011. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- SHWAYDER, MAYA (13 February 2014). "Israel to UNSC: Do something about Syria". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- Lazar Berman (18 February 2014). "Israel's UN envoy to chair Human Rights Council elections". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Prosor, Ron. "Fuel for thought in Gaza". Huffington Post.
- Prosor, Ron (21 March 2012). "Tolerating Hamas Invites a Mideast War". The Wall Street Journal.
- 'Commentary: The response to Israel's announcement is disproportionate', Daily Telegraph, 18 March 2010
- 'Restore common sense to common law', Daily Telegraph, 21 December 2009
- 'Hamas is leading Palestine down the road of carnage', Daily Telegraph, 25 August 2009
- 'Macca hits number 1 in Tel Aviv', Daily Telegraph, 26 September 2008
- 'Britain is our friend and ally in freedom, Daily Telegraph, 18 July 2008
- 'Britain is a hotbed of anti-Israeli sentiment, Daily Telegraph, 10 June 2008
- 'A farcical attempt to paint Israel black', The Times, 29 September 2009
- 'Hey Judaism (section 'My view')', The Sun, 25 September 2008
- 'A taboo that harms Arabs too', The Guardian, 20 April 2010
- 'A peace initiative for Israel and Palestine', The Guardian, 9 December 2008
- 'Showboating over Gaza', The Guardian, 28 August 2008
- 'For Israel's birthday, stop Iran', Jewish Chronicle, 24 April 2009
- 'Iranian issue high on Bibi's agenda', Jewish News, 20 August 2009
- Charlie Rose http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/11908
|url=missing title (help).
- Ron Prosor, BBC Radio 4, 9 December 2008
- Permanent Mission of Israel to the United Nations
- Ron Prosor on Facebook
- Israel in the UN on Facebook
- Israel in the UN on Twitter