October 14, 1966 |
Fenton, MI, USA
|1986-89||Michigan Technological University|
|Accomplishments and honors|
NCAA National Championships in 1992 and 1994 with Lake Superior State University, (3) gold and (1) silver medal at the IIHF U-18 Championships, 2011 Bob Johnson Award recipient, which recognizes excellence in international competition during a season
Ronald Rolston (born October 14, 1966) is an American ice hockey coach. He has served as head coach of USA Hockey's National Team Development Program and was an assistant hockey coach at Boston College, Harvard University, Clarkson University, and Lake Superior State University, as well as head coach of the American Hockey League's Rochester Americans and, for parts of two seasons, the National Hockey League's Buffalo Sabres.
On February 20, 2013, Rolston was named as the interim head coach of the Sabres, replacing Lindy Ruff, for the remainder of the 2012–13 season. On May 7, 2013, the Sabres announced they were removing the interim tag from Rolston and officially named him the 16th head coach in franchise history, without interviewing any other candidates for the job. Amid extremely poor performance at the start of the 2013-14 season and reports of locker room difficulties, the Sabres dismissed Rolston from his post on November 13, 2013, less than one calendar year after his arrival.
Rolston played 3 years with Michigan Technological University, scoring 32 goals and 68 points in 110 games.
|1991-92||Lake Superior State University||CCHA|
|1993-94||Lake Superior State University||CCHA|
|1994-95||Lake Superior State University||CCHA|
|2002-03||Boston College||Hockey East|
|2003-04||Boston College||Hockey East|
|2004-11||United States National Team Dev. Program (USNTDP)||USHL|
NHL coaching statistics
|Team||Year||Regular season||Post season|
|Buffalo Sabres||2012-13||31||15||11||5||(35)||5th in Northeast||Missed Playoffs|
|Buffalo Sabres||2013-14||20||4||15||1||(9)||8th in Atlantic||Fired|
- Guided the Amerks to a 36-26-10-4 record and a berth in the Calder Cup Playoffs in 2011-12, his first season behind the Rochester bench
- A 2011 Bob Johnson Award recipient, which recognizes excellence in international competition during a season
- A three-time gold-medal winner at the International Ice Hockey Federation U-18 World Championships in 2005, 2009 and most recently in 2011
- During the 2010-11 season, he led Team USA to titles in the 2011 Five Nations Tournament and in the 2010 Four Nations Cup
- Led the U.S. National Under-17 team to the 2009-10 campaign World Hockey Challenge title, its first since 2002
- In 2008-09, led the U.S. National Under-18 Team to first-place finishes at both the 2008 Men’s Under-18 Four Nations Cup in Lake Placid, N.Y., and 2009 Under-18 Five Nations Tournament in Sweden
- Also served as HC coach for the U.S. National Junior Team on two occasions, helping Team USA to a bronze medal at the 2007 IIHF World Junior Championship in Sweden
- Led Team USA to a silver medal at the 2007 IIHF U-18 tournament
- Won NCAA National Championships in 1992 and 1994 with Lake Superior State University, a team he also guided to three straight appearances in the NCAA National Championship game and four CCHA tournament titles in his five-year stint
- Perhaps the most decorated coach in NTDP history, Rolston-led teams have never missed the championship game in either of the major NTDP tournaments, the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge and International Ice Hockey Federation World Under-18 Championship. In the 4 IIHF U-18 Championships that he his teams have competed in, they have brought home 3 golds and a silver medal.
- In July 2011, he was hired by the Buffalo Sabres to be the head coach of their affiliate team, the Rochester Americans in the American Hockey League .
- In February 2013, named interim head coach of the Sabres after the firing of Lindy Ruff.
- Officially named head coach of the Sabres on May 7, 2013, removing the interim tag. He was fired from Buffalo on Nov 13 2013.
He is the older brother of Brian Rolston.
He and his wife, Shannon, have two children - Maeve and Ronan.
- "Sabres relieve Ruff of coaching duties, name Rolston".
- "Sabres remove interim tag for coach Ron Rolston".
- Rolston, Ron. "The Internet Hockey Database". Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- Rolston, Ron. "Bio". Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- Ron Rolston named Rocherster Amerks Head Coach Democrat and Chronicle, July 27, 2011. Retrieved July 2011
|Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres
- Ron Rolston's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Ron Rolston - Bio - Rochester Americans
- AHL Coach Rolston Returns to Roots at Symposium
- Sabres hire Ron Rolston