|Occupation||NFL official (1995–2013)|
Ronald J. "Ron" Winter is a retired American football official who officiated in the National Football League (NFL) from the 1995 through 2013 seasons. Winter previously served as a football official for the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
Winter wore uniform No. 14 (previously No. 82, 1995–1997). Winter's 2013 NFL officiating crew consisted of umpire Carl Paganelli, head linesman Jim Howey, line judge Gary Arthur, field judge Scott Steenson, side judge Tom Hill and back judge Greg Steed.
2002 NFL playoffs
In his first playoff assignment as a referee, Winter and his officiating crew were involved in a controversial finish to a New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers Wild Card playoff game played January 5, 2003 at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, California.
Seubert was grabbed and pulled down by Chike Okeafor on a botched field goal attempt while going downfield to receive a pass. The back judge, Scott Green was the downfield official, thus this was his play to cover, but he had to scramble from the goalpost to get into position to cover the play. Green, not knowing that Seubert was eligible, did not throw a flag to signify the penalty. Instead, the Giants were called for having an ineligible man downfield on the play (guard Tam Hopkins, who had crossed the line of scrimmage during the play).
Commissioner Paul Tagliabue described the situation as the most disappointing officiating blunder he'd seen in his years as NFL commissioner and announced that officiating mechanics surrounding field-goal attempts and last plays of games would be changed.
Winter's retirement was announced on April 3, 2014.
- "2013 NFL officiating crews".
- "WMU Trustees approve faculty, staff retirements". wmich.edu. October 16, 2007. Retrieved December 28, 2008.
- King, Peter (January 14, 2003). "They're Only Human". SI.com. Retrieved August 29, 2006.
- Attner, Paul (January 20, 2003). "Taking the fall for one bad call". The Sporting News. Retrieved August 29, 2006.
- Austro, Ben (April 3, 2014). "R Ron Winter retires after 19 seasons". Football Zebras. Retrieved April 9, 2014.