Ron Zacapa Centenario
Ron Zacapa Centenario is a premium rum produced in Guatemala by Rum Creation and Products, a subsidiary of Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala, and distributed and marketed by Diageo. Zacapa was created in 1976 to celebrate the centenary of the foundation of Zacapa, a town in eastern Guatemala. It was the result of the hard work and dedication of a doctor and chemist named Alejandro Burgaleta.
It is made using the concentrated first-pressing sugar cane juice—called "virgin sugar cane honey" by the company—and is aged and blended using the solera method traditionally used for sherries. This process is overseen by master blender Lorena Vazquez. The company claims that part of their success lies in the fact that the barrels are stored 2,300 metres (7,500 ft) above sea level in an aging facility situated below the upper slopes of the mountains and volcanoes of Guatemala, where the temperature is an average of 62 °F (17 °C).
Early Zacapa bottles came in a bottle covered in a petate - a handwoven matting made from palm leaves which dates from the Mayan period. More recently they feature a band around the middle of the bottle.
The rum has won awards from different international competitions and is the first rum to be included in the International Rum Festival's Hall of Fame. The Beverage Testing Institute has given Zacapa a 95 point rating.
Zacapa is a small town in eastern Guatemala founded in 1876. The rum was named for its 100th anniversary in 1976.
Zacapa is aged at a high altitude where the temperature and oxygen concentration are lower, which slows aging. This allows more time for aromas and flavors to combine. The product is a blend of rums aged from six to twenty three years in a solera. It is bottled at 40% alcohol by volume.
- Zacapa 15 – A premium rum aged between 5 and 15 years. 40% Alc by Vol
- Zacapa 23 - A premium rum aged between 6 and 23 years. 40% Alc by Vol
- Zacapa 23 Black Label – A premium rum aged between 6 and 23 years. 43% Alc by Vol
- Zacapa 23 Straight from the Cask – A premium rum aged between 6 and 23 years. 45% Alc by Vol
- Zacapa XO - A super premium rum aged between 6 and 25 years. 40% Alc by Vol
- Sangster, Rob. Traveler's Tool Kit: Mexico and Central America. Menasha Ridge Press, 2008. ISBN 0-89732-984-8
- Licorea http://www.licorea.com/zacapa-centenario-reserva-23-a%C3%B1os-copas-riedel-guatemala-p-880.html?language=en
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 2015-01-24.
- Frommer's Guatemala. Wiley-Interscience, 2007. ISBN 0-470-13676-6. P116
- Rum Zacapa. Polished Palate
- Spirits Review for Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Year Old Rum
- http://www.zacaparum.com/?goto=%2fen-us%2fhome. Retrieved 4 October 2013. Missing or empty
- Dykstra, Chip. http://therumhowlerblog.wordpress.com/rum-reviews/dark-rums/ron-zacapa-centenario-23-solero/. Missing or empty