Ronald V. Schmidt
|Ronald V. Schmidt|
|Born||March 31, 1944|
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
Ethernet over twisted pair
Schmidt was born March 31, 1944, in San Francisco, California. He graduated with B.S. (in 1966), M.S. (1968), and Ph.D. (1970) degrees in electrical engineering and computer science from the University of California, Berkeley. From 1970 to 1971 he was a postdoctoral research assistant at University College, London. He then joined Bell Laboratories in 1971. He was hired by Xerox PARC to develop a version of Ethernet for optical fiber in 1980 called Fibernet II. Schmidt co-founded SynOptics Communications in 1985 with Andrew K. Ludwick. After its merger in 1994, he served on the Board of Directors of the resulting company Bay Networks starting in May 1996.
Schmidt was executive vice resident and chief technical officer (CTO) of Bay Networks from 1994 to 1997. In 1998 he became a vice president of the Bell Labs research facility at Silicon Valley. He left Bell Labs in February 2000. He served on the board of directors of Silicon Image from April 1997 until April 2004.
- LattisNet, the product invented in 1985
- Lawrence M. Fisher (February 27, 1994). "Sound Bytes; On Building a Better Highway". The New York Times. Retrieved June 11, 2011.
- "Contributors to this Issue". Bell System Technical Journal 56 (8): 1563. 1977. Retrieved June 11, 2011.
- R. Schmidt, E. Rawson, R. Norton Jr., S. Jackson, M. Bailey, (November 1983). "Fibernet II: A Fiber Optic Ethernet". IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 1 (5): 702. doi:10.1109/JSAC.1983.1145992.
- Urs von Burg (2001). "The Battle Between Ethernet and Token Ring". The triumph of Ethernet: technological communities and the battle for the LAN standard. Stanford University Press. pp. 175–176, 256. ISBN 978-0-8047-4095-1.
- "Bay Networks appoints Ronald V. Schmidt to new seat on its board of directors, announces effort to fill second new seat". News release (PR Newswire). May 21, 1996. Retrieved June 11, 2011.
- Profiles in high-tech board composition
- "Two New VPs for Bell Labs". News release (Lucent Technologies). July 31, 1998. Retrieved June 11, 2011.
- Silicon Image, Inc. (April 19, 2004). "Proxy Statement Pursuant to Section 14(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934". Retrieved June 11, 2011.