Ronald William Gainer
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
|Posthumous style||not applicable|
Ronald William Gainer (born August 24, 1947) is an American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church. He is the eleventh and current Bishop of Harrisburg, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He previously served as the second Bishop of Lexington before being named to Harrisburg.
Ronald Gainer was born in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, as an only child to parents of Eastern European descent. He attended St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Overbrook, from where he obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1969 and a Master's degree in Divinity in 1973. He was ordained to the priesthood on May 19, 1973.
Gainer served as pastor of Holy Trinity Church in Whitehall. Within the Diocese of Allentown, he served as Secretary of the Diocesan Tribunal, Secretary for Catholic Life and Evangelization, and Judicial Vicar. He did his graduate studies at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome, earning a Licentiate in canon law in 1986. He was raised to the rank of Honorary Prelate of His Holiness on August 20, 1991.
On December 13, 2002, Gainer was appointed the second Bishop of Lexington, Kentucky, by Pope John Paul II. He received his episcopal consecration on the following February 22 from Archbishop Thomas Cajetan Kelly, OP, with Bishops Edward Peter Cullen and Joseph Edward Kurtz serving as co-consecrators.
Ban on female students in sports with physical contact
On July 1, 2014, Gainer introduced a new policy prohibiting girls at Catholic schools in the Diocese of Harrisburg from participating in wrestling, tackle football, and tackle rugby whether or not they desire to compete in girls-only or co-ed matches. The policy goes on to require male wrestlers to forfeit matches against female opponents, but does not bar tackle football or rugby teams from playing against teams which may have a girl on their team. According to the policy, the ban applies to sports "...that involve substantial and potentially immodest physical contact".
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church hierarchy
- Historical list of the Catholic bishops of the United States
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- Lists of patriarchs, archbishops, and bishops
- "Greetings from Bishop Ronald W. Gainer". IChooseYou.com.
- "Bishop Gainer's Coat of Arms". Roman Catholic Diocese of Lexington.
- "Profile: Ronald William Gainer". Who's Who in America.
- "Bishop Ronald William Gainer". Catholic-Hierarchy.org.
- "Pope Appoints Msgr. Ronald Gainer Bishop of Lexington; Msgr. Ignatius Wang Named Auxiliary of San Francisco". United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. 2002-12-12.
- "Bishop pushes officials to follow on abortion". The Cincinnati Enquirer. 2004-06-25.
- Gainer, Ronald (Oct 1, 2014). "Co-Ed Participation in Contact Sports". Catholic Schools / Co-Ed Participation in Contact Sports. Roman Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Retrieved Oct 4, 2014.
Catholic schools, parishes, CYOs or clubs would not permit a female on a wrestling team...Catholic schools, parishes, CYOs and clubs would not permit a female on a tackle football team...Catholic schools, parishes, CYOs and clubs would not permit a female on a tackle rugby team.
|Catholic Church titles|
Joseph P. McFadden
|Bishop of Harrisburg
James Kendrick Williams
|Bishop of Lexington