Ronald van Raak
|Ronald van Raak|
|Member of the House of Representatives of the Netherlands|
November 30, 2006
|Member of the Senate|
June 10, 2003 – November 28, 2006
|Born||Antonius Adrianus Gerardus Maria van Raak
October 30, 1969
|Political party||Socialist Party (Socialistische Partij - SP)|
|Alma mater||Erasmus University Rotterdam (MA - Social history, MA - Philosophy)
University of Amsterdam (PhD - Humanities)
|Occupation||Politician, non-fiction writer, academic|
|Religion||Roman Catholic |
|Website||(Dutch) Socialist Party website|
Antonius Adrianus Gerardus Maria (Ronald) van Raak (born October 30, 1969 in Hilvarenbeek) is a Dutch politician, non-fiction writer and former academic. As a member of the Socialist Party (Socialistische Partij) he has been an MP since November 30, 2006. He focuses on matters of home affairs, Kingdom relations, the Dutch Royal House and general affairs. From 2003 to 2006 he was a Senator.
Van Raak is of a working-class background; his father was a truck driver. He grew up in his native village and attended secondary education in Tilburg. Afterwards he studied both social history and philosophy at Erasmus University Rotterdam and got promoted in humanities at the University of Amsterdam.
On April 1, 2000 he joined the Socialist Party and started to work at SP's think tank. Three years later he became director.
In 2003 he was elected into the Dutch Senate and was a member from June 10 that year till November 28, 2006. In November 2006 he was elected into the Dutch House of Representatives. The same month he changed positions, instead of being director he became SP's think tank chairman.
From 2001 to 2005 he also taught history at the University of Amsterdam.
- 2011: De Eerste Kamer. De andere kant van het Binnenhof: toen, nu, straks (editor, with Arjan Vliegenthart)
- 2010: Woorden in de strijd (editor, with Sj. van der Velden)
- 2008: Socialisten. Mensen achter de idealen
- 2008: Modern socialisme
- 2006: Het rijke rooie leven. Verhalen over socialisme in Nederland
- 2004: Socialisme, what's left? (editor, essays)
- 2003: Oud licht op nieuwe zaken. Adviezen van Erasmus, Spinoza, Thorbecke, Multatuli, Huizinga en anderen (essays)
- 2001-2003: De uitverkoop van Nederland (with N. Schouten)
- 2001: In naam van het volmaakte: conservatisme in Nederland in de negentiende eeuw van Gerrit Jan Mulder tot Jan Heemskerk Azn. (dissertation)
- 1997: De moderne dwaas. Bertolt Brecht en de moderne zingeving
- (Dutch) Parlement.com biography
- (Dutch) Perdefinitie.nl biography
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ronald van Raak.|