|Location||Hudson River at Rondout Creek, Kingston, New York|
|Year first constructed||1838|
|Year first lit||1915 (current tower)|
|Foundation||Concrete pier with wood piles|
|Tower shape||Square tower with attached house|
|Markings / pattern||Yellow brick with black lantern|
|Height||48 ft (15 m)|
|Focal height||54 ft (16 m)|
|Original lens||Sixth order Fresnel lens|
|Current lens||250 mm|
|Characteristic||Flashing White, 6 secs|
|Fog signal||Horn (removed)|
Kingston/Rondout 2 Lighthouse
|Location||Hudson River and Rondout Creek, Kingston, New York|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Governing body||U.S. Coast Guard|
|MPS||Hudson River Lighthouses TR|
|NRHP Reference #||
|Added to NRHP||May 29, 1979|
- The official name in the Coast Guard Light List is Rondout Creek Leading Light.
- The National Register name, Kingston/Rondout 2 Lighthouse comes from its location in a series of day beacons and lights in Rondout Creek. Number 2 is the first on the right hand side.
- The USCG history site calls it Rondout Creek (Kingston) Light.
When it was built in 1915, it replaced the earlier 1867 lighthouse. The National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act provides for the Coast Guard to declare some lighthouses surplus, and for their ownership to be transferred to historical, non-profit or local government entities following an application process and review. Nine lighthouses were identified in the fall of 2001 as part of a pilot program to transfer such lighthouses. Rondout Light was one of those nine. Rondout Light was transferred from the Coast Guard to the City of Kingston in 2002. It is currently managed by the non-profit Hudson River Maritime Museum.
- Light List, Volume I, Atlantic Coast, St. Croix River, Maine to Shrewsbury River, New Jersey (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard. 2009. p. 318.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: New York". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- Rowlett, Russ (2009-12-24). "Lighthouses of the United States: Downstate New York". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- NHLPA 2001 Transfer Pilot Program
- Hudson Lights
- Elise Marie Barry (February 1979). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Kingston/Rondout 2 Lighthouse". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2010-03-20. See also: "Accompanying two photos".
|This article about a historic property or district in Ulster County, New York, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|