Rongshui Miao Autonomous County
融水苗族自治县Rongshui Miao Autonomous County
Rongshui residential street
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Total||4,624.21 km2 (1,785.42 sq mi)|
|Elevation||115 m (377 ft)|
|• Density||100/km2 (270/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Rongshui Miao Autonomous County is the only Miao minority county in Guangxi, with 40 percent of the total population representing the Miao nation.
Rongshui County has a total population of 485,120 (2007).
Apart from the county town, Rongshui comprises many small villages and large rural areas. The county is mountainous, featuring both karst landscapes and larger mountain massifs such as the Yuan Bao Shan mountains. The river Rong (Rongjiang) flows through the county and passes by Rongshui town. The longest river within the county is the Bei River (Beijiang, not to be confused with the Beijiang tributary to the Zhujiang).
Rongshui County has 4 towns, 16 townships and 204 villages under its administration.
The towns include Rongshui, Hemu, Huaibao, and Sanfang.
The townships are Anchui, Antai, Baiyun, Dalang, Danian, Dongtou, Gandong, Gongdong, Gunbei, Hongshui, Liangzhai, Sirong, Tonglian, Wangdong, Xiangfen, and Yongle.
Rongshui is serviced by trains connecting with Liuzhou in the south and Huaihua (Hunan) in the north, branching off to larger cities such as Guiyang (Guizhou), Changsha (Hunan), Wuhan (Hubei) and Zhengzhou (Henan).
Rongshui is known for the frequent festivals of its Miao population.
Their celebrations include the drum festival, sowing festival, seedling festival and horse-fighting festivals. The festivities are often accompanied by music played on the Lusheng, a reed-pipe wind instrument, and dancing and singing performances.
- (Chinese) Recent population data for Rongshui Miao Autonomous County, official website of Rongshui County government, visited on July 3, 2009.
- (Chinese) Distribution of ethnic minorities in Rongshui Miao Autonomous County, official website of Rongshui County government, visited on July 3, 2009.
- Official website of Rongshui County government
- Miao ethnic group celebrates Xinhe Festival
- Schoolkids tuck in to free lunches in Guangxi
- Horsefight held to mark "Gulongpo Fair"
- Rongshui photos on Flickr