Ronny Cox, 2006
|Born||Daniel Ronald Cox
July 23, 1938
Cloudcroft, New Mexico, U.S.
Daniel Ronald "Ronny" Cox (born July 23, 1938) is an American character actor, author, singer-songwriter and guitarist. His best-known roles include Drew Ballinger in Deliverance (1972), George Apple in Apple's Way (1974-75), Lieutenant Andrew Bogomil in Beverly Hills Cop (1984), Richard "Dick" Jones in RoboCop (1987) and Vilos Cohaagen in Total Recall (1990).
Cox, the third of five children, was born in Cloudcroft, New Mexico, the son of Lounette (née Rucker) and Bob P. Cox, a carpenter who also worked at a dairy. He grew up in Portales, New Mexico. Cox graduated from Eastern New Mexico University in 1963 with a double major in Theater and Speech Correction.
As an actor, he made his debut in the acclaimed 1972 film Deliverance, in a scene wherein he plays the instrumental "Dueling Banjos" on his guitar with a banjo-playing mountain boy, played by child actor Billy Redden. He was hired for the role because he could play the guitar. Cox released a book which recounts his experiences making the film in 2012. 
In the period 1974-1975, Cox starred in the short-lived CBS family-oriented dramatic series entitled Apple's Way, created by Earl Hamner, who created The Waltons. He also appeared as Mr. Webb in a television production of Our Town.
In 1984, 12 years after the movie Deliverance, Cox once again played a member of a small group of men who are, this time, lost in the Nevada desert and being chased by bloodthirsty locals in the low-budget film Courage.
One of his roles was that of Dr. John Gideon during the final season of the television medical drama St. Elsewhere. Cox's character was famously mooned by Dr. Donald Westphall (Ed Flanders) at the end of the third episode of season six.
In 1990, he co-starred as Los Angeles Police Chief Roger Kendrick in the short-lived Cop Rock, presenting a striking physical resemblance to the real-world incumbent, Chief Daryl Gates. He also appeared as the antagonistic Mars Administrator Vilos Cohaagen in Total Recall the same year.
Cox made a notable appearance on Star Trek: The Next Generation as the "efficient but impersonable" Captain Edward Jellico in the two-part episode "Chain of Command". He has also played Henry Mason, the father of Bree Van de Kamp (Marcia Cross) on Desperate Housewives.
He had a role in The Starter Wife TV series. He played Pappy McCallister, the husband of Molly Kagan's best friend Joan.
Cox played Walter Kenney in Dexter season six episode three ("Smokey and the Bandit").
Despite having a successful acting career, Cox said that music now comes first in his life. He turns down about 90% of the acting jobs he is offered in order to play over 100 shows at festivals and theaters each year. He is regularly accompanied by Radoslav Lorković (piano, accordion) and T Bruce Bowers (fiddle, mandolin).
Cox also leads a musical tour to Ireland each year. 
- Deliverance (1972)
- The Mind Snatchers (1972)
- A Case of Rape (1974)
- Bound for Glory (1976)
- The Car (1977)
- Gray Lady Down (1978)
- Harper Valley PTA (1978)
- The Onion Field (1979)
- Alcatraz: The Whole Shocking Story (1980) (TV)
- The Courage of Kavik the Wolf Dog (1980)
- Taps (1981)
- The Beast Within (1982)
- Tangiers (1982)
- Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
- Courage (also writer and producer) (1984)
- Spencer (1984) TV Series
- Jesse Owens Story (1984) (TV)
- Vision Quest (1985)
- RoboCop (1987)
- Steele Justice (1987)
- Beverly Hills Cop II (1987)
- St. Elsewhere (1987–88) TV Series
- In the Line of Duty: The F.B.I. Murders (1988)
- One Man Force (1989)
- Captain America (1990)
- Cop Rock (1990) TV Series
- Loose Cannons (1990)
- Total Recall (1990)
- Scissors (1991)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation (1991) TV Series
- Murder at 1600 (1997)
- Stargate SG-1 (1998–2005) TV Series (11 episodes)
- FreeSpace 2 (1999) (voice) Video Game
- Forces of Nature (1999)
- Deep Blue Sea (1999)
- Perfect Murder, Perfect Town (2000) television film
- The Agency (2001) TV Series
- Losing Grace (2001)
- American Outlaws (2001)
- Crazy As Hell (2002)
- Angel in the Family (2004) (TV)
- Killzone (2004) (voice) Video Game
- Desperate Housewives (2006) TV Series
- Commander in Chief (2006)
- Tell Me You Love Me (2007) TV Series
- Imagine That (2009)
- Dexter (2011)
Year Title 2012 Ronny, Rad and Karen 2009 Songs... with Repercussions 2008 How I Love Them Old Songs... 2006 Ronny Cox at the Sebastiani Theatre 2006 Ronny Cox: Songs, Stories... and Out & Out Lies (DVD) 2004 Ronny Cox Live 2002 Cowboy Savant 2000 Acoustic Eclectricity 1993 Ronny Cox
- Cox, Ronny. Dueling Banjos: The Deliverance of Drew. Decent Hill, 2012. ISBN 978-1-936085-58-3 (paperback); 9781936085590 (hardcover); 9781936085606 (eBook)
- Voisin, Scott Character Kings: Hollywood's Familiar Faces Discuss the Art & Business of Acting. BearManor Media, 2009. ISBN 978-1-59393-342-5
- Ronny Cox Biography (1938-)
- Ronny Cox Biography - Yahoo! Movies
- Courage at the Internet Movie Database
- RoboCop Amazon.com presentation
- Dick Jones in Robocop MovieVillains.com
- The Death of Dick Jones MovieDeaths.com