Theodore Roosevelt High School (Fresno)
|Theodore Roosevelt High School|
|4250 E. Tulare Ave
Fresno, California, United States
|School district||Fresno Unified School District|
|Color(s)||Kelly Green and Gold|
|Publication||The T.R. Times|
Theodore Roosevelt High School (RHS), is located in Fresno, California. It is a high school established within the Fresno Unified School District. The high school mascot is the Rough Rider (in physical form it is a horse) named after the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment Theodore Roosevelt organized and helped command during the Spanish-American War. The high school's colors are green and gold.
The school was opened in 1928, and was both a junior and senior high school. It now serves grades 9-12. Every fall RHS holds the "Little Big Game" (a.k.a. "Pig Game"), a football game that is played between Roosevelt and longstanding rival and fellow historic high school Fresno High.
RHS is located in south central Fresno, near Fresno's historic downtown district. During the 2011-2012 school year, 2184 students attended RHS. Many of its students are immigrants from Mexico and Southeast Asia. 51.8% of the student population are English learners. Below are rough figures of the student population.
|Ethnicity||Population||Percentage of total population|
RHS has many programs to serve its students, including AVID tutoring, IRS Business Academy and Migrant Ed.
Roosevelt School of the Arts
The Roosevelt School of the Arts is a district-wide magnet school program established in 1984, offering students in-depth specialized training in performing, visual, and media arts. The Roosevelt School of the Arts program was recognized as a winner of the Kennedy Center Alliance for Arts Education "Creative Ticket National School of Distinction Award", one of five schools to receive this award for outstanding achievement in Arts Education.
Awards and recognition
RHS was recognized by the California State Board of Education in 1996 California Distinguished School Award. The school has also won two Golden Bell Awards. In 2009, RHS renewed their WASC accreditation.
- Mai Xiong (2013-2014)
- Monique Saldaña (2012-2013)
- Holly Pov (2011-2012)
- Vernavé Medrano (2010-2011)
- Alyssa Williams (2009-2010)
- Lily Yang (2008-2009)
- Katherine Davis (2007-2008)
- Alex Lutz (2006-2007)
2013-2014 Associated Student Body Officers
- President: Mai Xiong
- Vice President: Ángela Venegas
- Secretary: Janet Guerrero
- Treasurer: Jasmín Ledesma
- Activities: Jesse Rodríguez
- Assemblies: Cynthia Martínez
- Athletics for Boys: Roxanna Ortiz
- Athletics for Girls: Marisol Esquivel
- Clubs: Clarisa Vázquez
- Link Crew: Adriana Mendoza
- Rallies: Raquel Romo
- RSA: Kevin Carrillo
Senior Class Officers
- President: Daniel Esquivel
- Vice President: Jacquelyn Morelos
- Secretary: Christopher Sandoval
- Treasurer: Anna Capacete
- School Site Council Representative: Chakty Carrillo
Junior Class Officers
- President: Vanessa Arce
- Vice President: David Morelos
- Secretary: Kelsey Hershey
- Treasurer: Saúl Pacheco
- School Site Council Representative: Wendy Vásquez
Sophomore Class Officers
- President: Ismael Esparza
- Vice President: Saraí Ventura
- Secretary: Georgiana Rodríguez
- Treasurer: Sherry García
- School Site Council Representative: Jennifer Romero
Freshman Class Officers
- President: Hana Her
- Vice President: Lila Yang
- Secretary: Mai Yang
- Treasurer: Alondra Velasco
- School Site Council Representative: Gabrielle Saldaña
Campus Culture (Activities) Directors
- Néstor R. Cerda (2006-Present)
- Gus Short (Fall 2006)
- Angélica Reynoso (August 2006-September 2006)
- Rudy Torres (2005-2006)
Campus Clubs & Organizations
- Associated Student Body
- Anime Club
- AVID (Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors)
- Bass Fishing Club
- Californians for Justice
- California Scholarship Federation
- Daisy Chain & Ushers
- Ecology Club
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Health Academy
- Hmong Club
- Hmong Dance Club
- IRS Academy (Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors)
- Link Crew
- Los Danzantes
- Rough Rider Band & Marching Band
- Rough Rider Color Guard)
- Senior Legends
- Senior Vocational Education
- Set Apart Christian Club
- Virtual Enterprise
- Young Hmong Scholars
- Youth Leadership Institute
- Larry López (2011 - Present)
- Howard McNair (2007-2011)
The varsity boys soccer team has won five out of the last seven central section championships, in 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2009
- Chris Gorham, actor, Ugly Betty, Harper's Island
- Sharon Leal (1972-), actress, Boston Public, Dreamgirls.
- Audra McDonald, five-time Tony Award-winning American actress and singer.
- Gary Soto, Author, born April 12, 1952 in Fresno, California 
- Heidi Blickenstaff, Actress, [title of show]
- Mick Wingert, Voice Actor, "Kung Fu Panda, Legends of Awesomeness"
- Roosevelt School of the Arts, accessed June 26, 2007.
- Distinguished Middle and High Schools, California State Board of Education. Accessed June 26, 2007.
- "EX-FRESNAN FOLLOWS "GUIDING LIGHT' BACK TO NEW YORK CITY: SHARON LEAL, FORMERLY OF GOOD COMPANY PLAYERS AND ROOSEVELT HIGH SCHOOL, LANDS SPOT ON SOAP OPERA.", The Fresno Bee, February 10, 1996. "It's not that she's tired of Erica, Brooke, Tad, Adam and the rest of the All My Children crew. But being a proud mom, she wants to support her daughter, Sharon. The ex-Good Company Players and Roosevelt High School graduate is joining the cast of Guiding Light.".
- "AUDRA -- LIVING HER DREAM ... ", Fresno Bee, January 15, 1989. Accessed December 31, 2007. "Audra McDonald loves New even though two people have thrown up on her in the subway and she thought she would never survive a New York taxi ride. McDonald, a June graduate of Roosevelt School of the Arts, is living a dream come true."
- Roosevelt High School Official site