Rooty Hill, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
The Rooty Hill, taken from the railway station
|Population||13,377 (2011 census)|
|• Density||2,123/km2 (5,500/sq mi)|
|Area||6.3 km2 (2.4 sq mi)|
|Location||42 km (26 mi) west of Sydney CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Blacktown|
|State electorate(s)||Mount Druitt|
Rooty Hill is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Rooty Hill is located 42 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the City of Blacktown and is part of the Greater Western Sydney region.
The earliest exploration of the area was led by Captain Watkin Tench in 1789. The origin of this name puzzled historians for many years because the clue lay not in Blacktown City but on Norfolk Island. Governor Philip Gidley King had been in charge of the first settlement there in early 1788 and had noted that the hillside where he had built his Government House had been difficult to dig owing to the amount of tree roots beneath the surface. The hill on Norfolk became known as the rooty hill and the name is now official. When King returned to New South Wales he built the headquarters for his government reserve of 1802 at the foot of a hill that reminded him of the Norfolk Island rooty hill and there can be little doubt that he named Blacktown's Rooty Hill after that on Norfolk where he had met his future wife and spent several happy and productive years. The name Rooty Hill first appeared on a map in 1803. The Australia Day Ambassador since 2008 has been Brett Hinch. Sir Douglas Mawson, a famous scientist, grew up in Rooty Hill.
The main commercial area of Rooty Hill, is primarily on Rooty Hill Road North & Rooty Hill Road South, immediately surrounding the railway station. This area includes:
Dining & Take Away food
- Rooty Hill Star Pizza & Kebabs
- Jas My Waffles & Coffee
- Rooty Hill Charcoal Chicken
- Big Chief Burgers
- Country Fried Chicken
- South Rooty Hill Takeaway
- Go Sing Chinese Restaurant
- Happiness Garden Chinese Restaurant
- Domino's Pizza Rooty Hill
- Subway Rooty Hill
- Melchrishel Bakery
- Peter's Hot Bread Bakery
- Hughie Bakery
Real Estate agencies
- Elders Real Estate Rooty Hill
- Real Estate One Rooty Hill
- L.J. Hooker Rooty Hill
- Tesoreiro Real Estate
- Ray White Rooty Hill
- RPN Rooty Hill
- Richardson & Wrench Rooty Hill
- Rooty Hill Family Medical & Dental Centre
- Saints Medical Centre
- Dr Julie Ong Family Practice
- Highpoint Health Centre
- Maurie Lynch's Pharmacy
- ShopSmart Wholesale Pharmacy Rooty Hill
- C-K Mart Grocers
- Thrifty Link Hardware
- Eddie Salas Cycles
- Rooty Hill Barber
- Hairquarters Rooty Hill
- Computer Paramedics
- Crystal Pet & Wire Centre
- Metalflex Airconditioning Australia
Rooty Hill RSL Precinct
The following locations are not in the main commercial area of Rooty Hill, however are located approximately a kilometre west of the commercial area of Rooty Hill, about half way to Mount Druitt:
- Rooty Hill RSL Club
- Rooty Hill Novotel Hotel is located next to the Rooty Hill RSL Club.
- ONE55 Health & Fitness is a gym facility operated by Rooty Hill RSL Club. It offers personal training, group fitness classes and gym equipment for use.
- Domino's Pizza Rooty Hill RSL
- AMF Bowling Rooty Hill
- M9 Laser Skirmish
* Rooty Hill Public School is a New South Wales public school providing education from Kindergarten to Year 6. It has been on Rooty Hill Road North since opening in 1957 with 114 students. The entire class of the opening year attended the 50th anniversary celebrations held in May 2007. Member for Chifley, Roger Price commented that ..the influence a school can have on a student lasts their lifetime. Having the entire class of 1957 at the (50th anniversary) celebration shows just how positive that can be.
- St. Aidans Primary School (Kindergarten-Year 6), located in Adelaide Street was founded in 1907.
- St. Agnes Catholic High School (Years 7-10). Evans Road, Rooty Hill is a secondary school located in South Rooty Hill. Established in 1962, the school is a part of the Christ Catholic College Community of schools in 1999, which is a system of three schools that broke apart in 2004, the other two being Clare Catholic High School, Hassall Grove and Loyola Senior High School, Mt Druitt, which is the only Senior High School in the Parramatta Diocese. In late 2004, St Agnes underwent a major building development, with a new building containing six classrooms, a library and an undercroft, which would provide easy access to the school hall. In late 2007, the school underwent a whole-campus redevelopment.
- Rooty Hill High School (Years 7-12). North Parade, Rooty Hill. Rooty Hill High School is a comprehensive, 7 to 12 community school in western Sydney.
- St. Albans Anglican Multicultural Bible Ministry is located in Westminster St, Rooty Hill. St Alban’s MBM exists in order to lead all people in the multicultural west of Sydney to Christ and into maturity in Christ. Ray Galea is the Lead Pastor and there are services at 8am, 9am, 10:30am and 6pm.
- Rooty Hill Uniting Church is located on Rooty Hill Road North. Service at 9am.
- St. Aidan's Catholic Church is located on Rooty Hill Road North.
- Angus Memorial Park
- Blacktown International Sportspark
- Central Park
- Harry Dennison Park
- Kimberley Park
- Morreau Reserve
- Nurragingy Reserve
- Rooty Hill Skatepark.
Notable residents have included:
- Sir Douglas Mawson - scientist and explorer
- Mile Jedinak footballer for the Socceroos was born and raised here.
- Melva Florence McDonald, OAM. Services to Rooty Hill and Blacktown.
- Nic Kilgour - notable Australian social media personality.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Rooty Hill (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Timeline for Rooty Hill District". Blacktown City Council. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Rooty Hill Road, Kingston, Norfolk Island, Google Maps, accessed 7 March 2013
- Happy returns, Mt Druit - St Marys Standard. 23 May 2007.