January 10, 1952 |
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Children||Rose, Riane, Ryron, Rener, Ralek, Segina, Reylan, Roran, Renon, Ricon|
|Notable students||Ryron Gracie, Ralek Gracie, John McCarthy. Ed O'Neill, Michael Clarke Duncan, Dr. Robert Rey, Eve Torres, Javier Vazquez.|
Rorion Gracie (/ /; born 1952) is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioner and instructor, a prominent member of the Gracie family, and a founder of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He is the oldest son of Hélio Gracie and one of the few people in the world to hold a 9th degree red belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, receiving that promotion on October 27, 2003 from his father.
Gracie holds a bachelors degree in law. In 1999–2000 he was involved with a legal dispute with his cousin Carley Gracie for trademark infringement. Rorion ultimately won his lawsuit and was awarded $108,000 in damages (along with $620,000 in attorney's fees) from Carley for infringement of the triangle logo trademark, though the jury found in favour of Carley that Rorion did not have a valid federal trademark for the name "Gracie Jiu-Jitsu".
- Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy >> Generations >> Rorion Gracie. URL accessed on April 8, 2006.
- Rorion Gracie. URL last accessed on April 8, 2006.
- Active Interest Media, Inc. (June 1992). Black Belt. Active Interest Media, Inc. pp. 11–. ISSN 02773066. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- CARLEY GRACIE et al. v RORION GRACIE et al. - Docket Numbers 98-15672, 98-16386 - United States Court of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit
Rorion Gracie is the author of The Gracie Diet Book, released 2011. The book reveals the eating strategies behind the Gracie family's remarkable health, longevity and success in GJJ. www.graciediet.com
- Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy
- Rorion Gracie at the Internet Movie Database
- Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy at YouTube