By the Golden Gate, near San Francisco Bay, California, USA (photo January 2010)
|Born||17 January 1958|
|Alma mater||Jesus College, Cambridge|
|Relatives||James Cellan Jones (father)
Simon Cellan Jones
Early life and education
Rory Cellan-Jones was born in London in 1958. Both his father James Cellan Jones and his half-brother Simon Cellan Jones are film and television directors, although Rory was born out of wedlock and was unacquainted with them until adulthood.
Cellan-Jones was educated at Dulwich College, an independent school for boys in Dulwich in south London, from 1967-76. He attended Jesus College, Cambridge University, obtaining his BA in 1981, and his MA in 1984.
Starting his BBC career as a researcher on the Leeds edition of Look North, he then worked in the London TV newsroom for three years before getting his first on-screen role at BBC Wales. He later transferred to London and became the business and economics correspondent. After the dot com crash of 2000, he wrote the book Dot.bomb. He has covered issues such as Black Wednesday, the BCCI scandal and Marks and Spencer's competition troubles. He has also evaluated the growth of online websites and companies including the rise of Google and Wikipedia and online retailing. In 2004 he made an appearance on The Money Programme. Since January 2007, he has been the BBC's Technology Correspondent with the job of expanding the BBC's coverage of new media and telecoms, and the cultural impact of the Internet.
- Rory Cellan-Jones, Esq at Debrett's.
- "Rory Cellan-Jones". BBC News. 4 July 2013.
- Cellan Jones, James. Forsyte and Hindsight: Screen Directing for Pleasure and Profit. Kaleidoscope Publishing, 2006. pp. 14–15.
- Dulwich College website
- Cambridge University. The Cambridge University List of Members for the Year 1991. Cambridge University Press, 1991. p. 228.
- "Rory Cellan-Jones". London: The Guardian. 2009-11-11. Retrieved 8 December 2009.
- Sherwin, Adam (2006-10-13). "Out with the governors and in with the trustees". The Times (London). Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- Rory Cellan-Jones at the Internet Movie Database
- Rory Cellan Jones (BBC) on Twitter
- Rory Cellan Jones (personal) on Twitter