Rory MacDonald (fighter)
July 22, 1989
Quesnel, British Columbia, Canada
|Other names||The Canadian Psycho, Ares, The Waterboy|
|Residence||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st 2 lb)|
|Reach||76.5 in (194 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Rory Joseph MacDonald (born July 22, 1989) is a Canadian mixed martial artist currently signed with the UFC fighting in the Welterweight division. He is a former King of the Cage Lightweight Champion. As of June 29, 2014, he is the #2 contender in official UFC Canadian welterweight rankings and ranked the #3 welterweight in the world by Sherdog.
Mixed martial arts career
MacDonald started his training with David Lea and his fight team Toshido Fighting Arts Academy out of Kelowna, B.C. He moved to Montreal and joined Tristar Gym, home of UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre, after his loss to Carlos Condit.
MacDonald made his professional debut at the age of sixteen winning against Terry Thiara at an Extreme Fighting Challenge event.
King of the Cage
He then moved to 2–0, by beating Ken Tran in his King of the Cage (KOTC) debut. He won a fight in Rumble in the Cage and then signed exclusively with King of the Cage. He won two fights after signing and was then rewarded with a shot at the KOTC Canadian Lightweight title, against Kajan Johnson, which MacDonald won. MacDonald then was awarded a shot at the King of the Cage Lightweight Championship, against Clay French, MacDonald knocked him out in the second round. After the fight MacDonald moved up to welterweight and was successful defeating Elmer Waterhen by first round armbar.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
MacDonald was signed to the UFC after compiling a 9-0 professional record.
He made his debut for the promotion at UFC Fight Night 20 against Mike Guymon. Starting off with good distance controlling Guymon, Guymon dropped MacDonald with a right cross, MacDonald quickly recovered taking Guymon down winning the fight via submission (armbar) in the first round.
MacDonald was defeated by Carlos Condit via third round TKO at UFC 115 in a bout that earned the Fight of the Night award. MacDonald was competitive in the first two rounds using effective striking and taking Condit down three times. Condit came back with a more aggressive attitude in the final round and finished MacDonald with a combination of elbows and punches. After the fight, the judges' scorecards were revealed and showed that had MacDonald not been finished in the last seven seconds, he would have picked up a split decision victory.
MacDonald was expected to face James Wilks on April 30, 2011 at UFC 129. However, Wilks was replaced on the card by Nate Diaz. MacDonald dominated Diaz during all three rounds (throwing Diaz by German Suplex three times in the third round), earning a unanimous decision victory.
MacDonald faced Che Mills on April 21, 2012 at UFC 145. After getting hit with hard shots in the first round, Rory was able to take the fight to the ground and deliver powerful shots of his own. Rory controlled much of the fight on the ground, using his superior wrestling and grappling ability as well as his top-notch ground and pound. He won the fight via TKO in the second round.
MacDonald was expected to face BJ Penn on September 22, 2012 at UFC 152. However, MacDonald pulled out of the bout after sustaining a cut to the forehead while training. The fight eventually took place on December 8, 2012 at UFC on Fox 5. MacDonald dominated Penn for three rounds and won by unanimous decision.
MacDonald faced Jake Ellenberger on July 27, 2013, at UFC on Fox 8. Macdonald was able to use his size and reach advantage to repeatedly land his jab, neutralizing the shorter Ellenberger, resulting in a unanimous decision victory. UFC president Dana White criticized the performance as "lackluster".
MacDonald faced Demian Maia on February 22, 2014 at UFC 170. He won the fight via unanimous decision. The win also earned MacDonald his second Fight of the Night bonus award. Rory MacDonald almost had to pull out of the fight against Demian Maia because he stabbed himself in the hand while cutting an avocado.
Championships and accomplishments
- King of the Cage
- KOTC Lightweight Championship (One time)
- KOTC Canadian Lightweight Championship (One time)
- Top MMA News
- Canadian Fighter of the Year (2012)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|19 matches||17 wins||2 losses|
|Win||17–2||Tyron Woodley||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 174||June 14, 2014||3||5:00||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||16–2||Demian Maia||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 170||February 22, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night|
|Loss||15–2||Robbie Lawler||Decision (split)||UFC 167||November 16, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–1||Jake Ellenberger||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga||July 27, 2013||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Win||14–1||B.J. Penn||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz||December 8, 2012||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Win||13–1||Che Mills||TKO (punches)||UFC 145||April 21, 2012||2||2:20||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||12–1||Mike Pyle||TKO (punches)||UFC 133||August 6, 2011||1||3:54||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||11–1||Nate Diaz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 129||April 30, 2011||3||5:00||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Loss||10–1||Carlos Condit||TKO (punches)||UFC 115||June 12, 2010||3||4:53||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada||Fight of the Night|
|Win||10–0||Mike Guymon||Submission (armbar)||UFC Fight Night: Maynard vs. Diaz||January 11, 2010||1||4:27||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Win||9–0||Nick Hinchliffe||KO (punches)||KOTC Canada: Disturbed||September 26, 2009||2||2:08||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||8–0||Elmer Waterhen||Submission (armbar)||KOTC Canada: Island Pride||May 8, 2009||1||1:27||Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada||Welterweight debut|
|Win||7–0||Clay French||KO (punches)||KOTC Canada: Grinder||November 28, 2008||2||4:26||Calgary, Alberta, Canada||Won the KOTC Lightweight Championship|
|Win||6–0||Kajan Johnson||TKO (punches)||KOTC Canada: Avalanche||December 15, 2007||3||1:48||Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada||Won the KOTC Canadian Lightweight Title|
|Win||5–0||Yoon Heo||TKO (knees)||KOTC Canada: Icebreaker||November 3, 2006||2||0:19||Prince George, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||4–0||Quinton Moreno||Submission (triangle choke)||KOTC Canada: Insurrection||October 6, 2006||1||N/A||Vernon, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||3–0||Jordan Mein||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Rumble in the Cage 17||June 17, 2006||1||4:04||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||2–0||Ken Tran||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC Canada: Anarchy||February 11, 2006||1||2:33||Prince George, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||1–0||Terry Thiara||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Extreme Fighting Challenge 4||October 15, 2005||1||2:11||Prince George, British Columbia, Canada|
-  UFC fighter Rory MacDonald's official profile. Retrieved on 2013-07-20.
- "Rory "Ares" MacDonald Tapology Profile". tapology.com. Retrieved 2014-06-20.
- Rory MacDonald awarded black belt in no gi jiu jitsu. Bloody Elbow. Retrieved on 2013-05-13.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Sherdog's Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". sherdog.com. June 29, 2014.
- "UFC Fight Night 20 recap". mmajunkie.com. January 12, 2010.
- "UFC 115: Carlos Condit vs Rory MacDonald in the works for June 12". mmamania.com. 2010-01-27.
- "MacDonald vs Brown at UFC 123". Sportsnet.ca. 2010-08-18.
- "Injured Rory MacDonald out, Brian Foster in against Matt Brown at UFC 123". mmajunkie.com. October 13, 2010.
- "UFC 129: Brookins-Makdessi, MacDonald-Wilks Set for April 30 in Toronto". mmafrenzy.com. January 4, 2011.
- "Nate Diaz meets Rory MacDonald at UFC 129". mmajunkie.com. January 14, 2011.
- "UFC 133: Welterweights Rory MacDonald vs. Mike Pyle Set for Aug. 6 in Philly". mmafrenzy.com. May 23, 2011.
- "Rory MacDonald vs Brian Ebersole booked for Dec. 10 in Toronto". mmaweekly.com. September 6, 2011.
- "Rory MacDonald out, Claude Patrick in against Brian Ebersole at UFC 140". MMAJunkie.com. November 8, 2011. Retrieved November 8, 2011.
- "UFC 145; seven bouts shift to Atlanta". mmajunkie.com. January 20, 2012.
- Mrosko, Gene (June 9, 2012). "BJ Penn vs Rory MacDonald fight booked for Sept. 22 in Toronto". mmamania.com. Retrieved June 9, 2012.
- Roth, Matthew (2012-08-05). "UFC 152: Rory MacDonald Injured and out of B.J. Penn Fight". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Rory MacDonald vs. B.J. Penn targeted for UFC on FOX 5 co-headliner". mmajunkie.com. August 10, 2012.
- "Firas Zahabi: Rory MacDonald Was Not Showboating Against B.J. Penn". sherdog.com. December 13, 2012. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- "Carlos Condit vs. Rory MacDonald Rematch Scheduled for UFC 158 in Montreal". mmaweekly.com. December 12, 2012. Retrieved December 12, 2012.
- John Morgan and Steven Marrocco (2013-02-18). "Rory MacDonald scratched from UFC 158, Johny Hendricks now meets Carlos Condit". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Staff (April 10, 2013). "Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald added to July's UFC on FOX 8 in Seattle". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- Maggie Hendricks (July 27, 2013). "Rory MacDonald wins UFC on Fox 8 snoozefest over Jake Ellenberger". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved July 27, 2013.
- Dave Doyle (July 28, 2013). "Dana White on MacDonald vs. Ellenberger: 'That fight sucked so bad'". mmafighting.com. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Steve Marrocco (2013-08-20). "Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald targeted for UFC 167". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- Jason Nawara (2013-11-17). "Robbie Lawler beats up Rory MacDonald and nabs the split-decision". middleasy.com. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- Jesse Holland (December 6, 2013). "Demian Maia vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC 170 on Feb. 22 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- Brent Brookhouse (2014-02-23). "UFC 170 bonuses: Rousey, Maia, MacDonald and Thompson each take home $50,000". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- Dave Walsh (2014-02-25). "Rory MacDonald Stabbed Himself Cutting an Avocado, Okay". mmanuts.com. Retrieved 2014-02-25.
- Mindenhall, Chuck (2014-04-08). "Tyron Woodley inks an eight-fight deal with UFC, faces Rory MacDonald at UFC 174". MMAfighting.com. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "Best of Canada 2012: Fighter of the Year". TopMMANews.com. Retrieved 2013-02-25.