|Alma mater||Hartwick College|
|Occupation||Executive Advisor, AMD|
Rory Read is currently executive advisor for AMD. He is the former CEO and President of AMD, where he followed Dirk Meyer. Appointed president and CEO in August, 2011, Read serves on the company’s board of directors. Rory was followed by Lisa Su.
At AMD, Read inherited a company that had approximately 95% of its revenue driven by the PC market.. Read diversified the portfolio to produce revenue of 50% from five new high growth markets, building over US$ 2 billion in new businesses. Under Read, AMD lowered costs by over 30% while restructuring AMD debt strengthening the balance sheet and returning to non-GAAP profitability. He was responsible for implementing an ambidextrous X86/ARM architecture and the clean sweep removal of new game consoles during his tenure.
Prior to joining AMD, Read served as president and chief operating officer of Lenovo Group, Ltd. During Read's five year tenure at Lenovo he was responsible for driving growth, execution, profitability and performance across a global $16 billion enterprise encompassing over 160 countries. At the time of Read’s departure, Lenovo had just marked the 7th straight quarter as the fastest growing PC maker in the world and had become the world’s third largest global PC manufacturer.
He previously spent 23 years at IBM serving in various global leadership roles. He worked in IBM's Asia Pacific region as general manager, Business Innovation Services for Asia Pacific. As Managing Partner for IBM’s Business Consulting Services Industrial Sector, Read led the division through a turnaround that significantly improved gross margins, drove new customer acquisitions and generated double digit revenue growth and operating profitability. He was vice president of IBM eBusiness Transformation, IBM.com, where he led a business team that produced more than $1 billion in company-wide savings and $21 billion in sales.
- "Executive Profile Rory P. Read". Bloomberg BusinessWeek. October 24, 2014.
- Don Clark (October 8, 2014). "Advanced Micro Devices CEO Rory Read Steps Down". The Wall Street Journal.
- "CEO Compensation #435 Rory P Read". Forbes. Retrieved October 25, 2014.
- "Executive Biographies - Rory Read". Amd.com. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- "Lisa Su replaces Rory Read" (White paper) (Press release). PCworld.com. Oct 8, 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-10.
- Agam Shah (October 17, 2013). "AMD reports Q3 profit after reducing reliance on PCs". Computer World.
- Sean Chandler (July 10, 2014). "AMD May Beat Earnings Again Due To Better PC Shipments". Seeking Alpha.
- Timothy Prickett Morgan (May 5, 2014). "AMD To Unify X86, ARM Systems With SkyBridge". EnterpriseTech.
- Tom Genot (November 27, 2013). "AMD: A Positive Turnaround Play". Seeking Alpha.
- Trefis Team (July 21, 2014). "AMD's Restructuring Initiatives Translate Into Strong Growth In 1H 2014". Forbes.
- Mark Hachman (May 5, 2014). "AMD announces 'SkyBridge' chips to bring together X86 and ARM". PC World.
- Timothy Green (January 2, 2014). "AMD's Troubles Will Continue in 2014". The Motley Fool.
- Robin Wauters (August 25, 2011). "Lenovo COO Jumps Ship To Become President And CEO At Chip Maker AMD". TechCrunch.
- "AMD Names Rory P. Read President and CEO". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- Dylan McGrath, EE Times. "Former IBM, Lenovo exec takes the helm at AMD." August 25, 2011. Retrieved August 25, 2011.
- Ian King (August 25, 2011). "Advanced Micro Names Lenovo’s Rory Read Chief After a Seven-Month Search". Bloomberg News.
- "Rory Read - President and Chief Operating Officer". China Daily. October 12, 2010.
- "Rory Read ’83 – Global Computing Luminary President/CEO Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.". Hartwick College. Retrieved October 25, 2014.