Shops on Lower Plenty Road
|• Density||2,080/km2 (5,390/sq mi)|
|Area||3.7 km2 (1.4 sq mi)|
|Location||12 km (7 mi) from Melbourne|
|LGA(s)||City of Banyule|
Rosanna is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 12 km north-east from Melbourne's Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Banyule. At the 2011 Census, Rosanna had a population of 7,697.
In 1838, the farm land that eventually became Rosanna was initially named Rosa Anna, after property owner James Watson's wife, Elizabeth Anna Rose. In the 1890s, Watson subdivided and sold lots from the Rosanna Estate. In 1902, the train line which initially stopped at Heidelberg was extended to run through Rosanna, through to Eltham.
The Rosanna Post Office opened on 12 March 1914, closed in 1917 and reopened in 1926.
Rosanna includes the following schools:
- Banyule Primary School - Located on Banyule Road, opened in 1960.
- Rosanna Golf Links Primary School - Located on Interlaken Parade, opened in 1956.
- Rosanna Primary School - Located on Grandview Grove, opened in 1940.
- Viewbank College - Located on Warren Road, created from the merger of Rosanna East High School and Banyule High School in 1994.
- Athletics - The Rosanna Little Athletics Club, established in 1970, provides athletics activities for local 6 to 16 year olds;[non-primary source needed] the club being part of the Diamond Valley Little Athletics Centre in Greensborough.
- Football - Macleod Football Club competes in the Northern Football League and are based at De Winton Park in the suburb.
- Golf - The Rosanna Golf Club is located on Cleveland Avenue in the neighbouring suburb of Lower Plenty.
- City of Heidelberg - the former local government area of which Rosanna was a part
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Rosanna (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Rosanna, Victoria". Travelmate. Australian Online Travel Pty Ltd. Retrieved 15 June 2010.
- "Rosanna, Victoria". Monash University. November 2004. Archived from the original on 23 August 2005. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Retrieved 11 April 2008.
- "Suburban dreaming". www.theage.com.au. The Age. 20 August 2005. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- "Viewbank College Information". Schools in Australia. AA Education Network. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- "Viewbank College > History of Viewbank". Viewbank College. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- "Rosanna Little Athletics Club". Rosanna Little Athletics Club.
- Full Points Footy. "Northern Football League". Retrieved 15 September 2009.
- Golf Select. "Rosanna". Retrieved 11 May 2009.
- Lynch, Michael (2 May 2004). "Bresciano impresses for club and country". www.theage.com.au. The Age. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- Mangan, John (27 September 2009). "Ultimate nausea cure for mothers-to-be: Puccini". www.theage.com.au. The Age. Retrieved 21 June 2010.