|Birth name||Jeffrey Johnson, Jr.|
|Born||April 2, 1990|
|Labels||J.U.I.C.E. Gang, MusicLine (current)
MMI, Zone 4, Interscope Records (former)
- 1 Music career
- 2 Controversy
- 3 Discography
- 4 Awards and nominations
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Johnson started composing rap lyrics at the age of 12, after his older brother introduced him into the world of hip-hop. In high school, he and his brother put together a rap group that consisted of four young men who went by the name of Black Out Boiz aka B.O.B., where his original stage name ATL came into play & also where his eccentric use of the Mohawk hairstyle became his signature trend at the time. Though the group had been receiving positive notoriety, ATL would eventually leave The B.O.B. (Black Out Boiz) & get started in his pursuit of solo projects. He continued recording in his basement and making mixtapes to network himself, & this hard work led Johnson to come across his cousin, Torrey YT Hood, who happened to be a sponsor of a local rap group who called themselves Travis Porter. Johnson soon recognized that he had to create a new identity other than Shadowfade to restart his music career, & be acknowledged for his own musical work. He Googled names of comic book heroes, and came across the name Roscoe Dash. Johnson says, "I needed something more marketable. I felt Shadowfade would have given my secret identity away. Plus it put me in that box of an Atlanta rapper so I needed something that would catch the ears and eyes of whoever was listening or reading the name Roscoe Dash and make them want to do research on Roscoe Dash." Roscoe Dash released a song "All the Way Turnt Up" featuring Travis Porter and they released it on their mixtape I'm a Differenter 2. Dash was only credited as a featured artist. According to Travis Porter, this was just a mistake. He then met local enterpeneur LA da Boomman in 2009, who then signed him to his production company, Making Moves Inc. (MMI).. Dash then later agreed deals with both Music Line Group, after Boomman introduced Dash to the A&R representative Anthony Tate, and the Interscope Records distributed Zone 4 after Tate and Dash spoke with music producer Polow da Don, the label's founder.
2010-12: Ready Set Go!, J.U.I.C.E. EP & XXL Freshmen
Shortly after, Dash re-recorded "All the Way Turnt Up" this time featuring fellow Atlanta rapper Soulja Boy Tell 'Em. The song turned into a radio hit, & Dash signed with Interscope Records the following year. Dash then started recording his debut album Ready Set Go!, but it was leaked and shipped before the official release date. The following year Dash was featured on the chart topping single "No Hands" by fellow Atlanta rapper Waka Flocka Flame & Washington D.C. rapper Wale, the song itself went 3× Platinum, & earned all three rappers the "Club Banger of the Year" at the 2011 BET Hip Hop Awards & a Nomination in 2011 at the ASCAP Music Awards.
In 2011 Dash then released his EP J.U.I.C.E.. The following year in 2011 Dash was featured on Big Sean's hit single "Marvin & Chardonnay" the song itself went on to be certified Gold. Dash was featured for the cover in 2012 of XXL as part of their annual "Top 10 Freshmen list" along with fellow rappers Iggy Azalea, Danny Brown, Kid Ink, Future, Hopsin, Macklemore, French Montana, Don Trip, and Machine Gun Kelly.
2013-present: The Untold Story Of Roscoe Dash
Dash is currently working on his second album and a soundtrack entitled The Untold Story Of Roscoe Dash which will also be featured with a movie of the same title based on his life.
After let them listen to a song he had recorded at the time called "All the Way Turnt Up", and the group automatically wanted to be a part of it. Since Travis Porter was already an established local group, he handed the song over to them and was featured on the track. It was featured on Travis Porter’s next mixtape, I’m a Differenter 2. The hit became very popular, but most people labeled the song as being Travis Porter's. The song was accredited as Travis Porter featuring YT and ShadowFade. He felt as if he wasn’t getting enough credit for the song that he had created. This caused conflicts between Dash & Travis Porter.
G.O.O.D. Music, Wale, Miguel & Meek Mill
On September 20, 2012 Dash confronted G.O.O.D. Music, Wale, Miguel & later Meek Mill via Twitter, due to being uncredited for G.O.O.D. Music's Cruel Summer album & Wale's chart topping song "Lotus Flower Bomb". Dash says "Everybody go get the G.O.O.D album and listen to #1 then watch @kanyewest interview. Can't do favors for niggas because no matter how humble and generous you are to people niggas will take everything u have even niggas u look up to. The most talented people get the least credit for everything and the crazy part is they put in the most work, Same shit with @wale "Lotus Flower Bomb" I wrote that for him before he even signed to Ross & it went #1. Wale responded via Twitter saying "Nighas be wellin on twitter." Dash then confronted Miguel after statements made by him about all the confusion.  Later during the day fellow MMG artist Meek Mill would poke fun of Dash & Dash would later confront him.
- Studio albums
- Ready Set Go! (2010)
- TBA (2014)
- Extended plays
- J.U.I.C.E. (2011)
Awards and nominations
BET Hip Hop Awards
|2011||"No Hands"||Best Collaboration||Nominated|
|Best Club Banger||Won|
- "St. Fleur, Patrick. "Roscoe Dash: BOW, SET, GO!!". Music". Wordofsouth.com. Archived from the original on 2010-10-10. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Chanté, Nadia. "Unrapped: Roscoe Dash Turns Up the Volume". Music". Rap-up.com. 2010-05-19. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Roscoe Dash Bio". Roscoe Dash. Archived from the original on 2010-09-26. Retrieved November 10, 2010.
- "Bland, Jovan. "Roscoe Dash - Way Too Turnt Up". Music". Yoraps.com. 2010-04-22. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Byrd , Shanique. "Roscoe Dash - Showing Out & Turning It Up for Atlanta ". music article". Parlemagazine.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Mariel Concepcion: Roscoe Dash Reclaims 'Turnt Up,' Preps Debut Album. billboard.com. April 16th, 2010
- "Ready Set Go: Roscoe Dash". Amazon.com. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Concepcion, Mariel (April 16, 2010). "Roscoe Dash Reclaims 'Turnt Up,' Preps Debut Album". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "American single certifications – Waka Flocka Flame – No Hands". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved February 18, 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "American single certifications – Big Sean – Marvin & Chardonnay". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved February 18, 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- DJ Jake Crates (2010-03-09). "Crates, Jake. "The Evolution Of Roscoe Dash". Music". Allhiphop.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "I'm a differenter". Music.[dead link]
- "BET Hip Hop Awards 2011: Big Winners". 106 KMEL. October 3, 2011. Retrieved October 31, 2011.