Roseburg High School
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (June 2013)|
|Roseburg High School|
Where Excellence is Tradition
|400 West Harvard Avenue
Roseburg, Oregon, Douglas County, 97470
|School district||Roseburg School District|
|Number of students||1543|
|Color(s)||Orange and Black|
|Athletics conference||OSAA Southwest Conference 6A-6|
|Team name||Roseburg Indians|
|Newspaper||The Orange R|
The campus is roughly 18 acres (73,000 m2) and contains 7 main buildings as well as a track and an artificial turf football field. Completed in 1926 the "Heritage Building," once referred to as the "Main Building" is the oldest on campus. Constructed out of concrete in a cow pasture known as "Bellows Field," the Heritage Building originally consisted of 15 classrooms, a gymnasium and an auditorium. At three stories high the tallest building on campus is referred to as "The Commons." Completed in 1964 "The Commons" is located at the center of the campus and houses the Library/Media Center at the ground floor. In 2001 a major remodel began that included the erection of three new buildings and the demolition of two old buildings. The Fitness Gymnasium located to the south of the "Heritage Building" was completed in 2002. The Fine Arts Building was completed in the summer of 2003, housing the "Rose Theatre," the cafeteria as well as the fine arts department. The Main Building was completed in 2004 and is the location of the front office, counseling center and career center.
At 7:45 a.m. on February 23, 2006, 15-year-old freshman Vincent Wayne Leodoro shot and wounded a fellow student, 16-year-old sophomore Joseph Monti. The incident occurred in a courtyard on the Roseburg High School campus. Monti was hit by three shots in his back, and a fourth grazed his elbow. After the shooting, two students followed Leodoro and flagged down a police car as he walked away from school. Police confronted him at a nearby restaurant parking lot, where Leodoro put a gun to his head before surrendering. School administrators have decided to hire security guards as a result of the incident.
Leodora was sentenced as a juvenile and received the maximum sentence. He will remain in a juvenile detention center until he is 25. 
Marine recruiter claims he was assaulted
In May 2006 a Marine recruiter made national news by claiming "a Roseburg High School student had spit on him. The school then told the recruiter the student was just expressing his First Amendment rights". The story was later admitted to be a fabrication by the recruters. 
- Troy Calhoun - head coach of the United States Air Force Academy football team
- Bobby Henderson - Class of 1999, founder of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
- David Kennerly - Pulitzer prize winning photographer and Preseidential Photographer for Gerald Ford. Numerous books. Left RHS after Jr year, graduated West Linn High class of 69.
- Matthew Lessner - director and screenwriter
- Chris Thompson - United States Olympian - Sydney 2000 - Swimming (Bronze Medalist - 1500 Meter Freestyle)
- Craig Tanner - American film director, film producer, and editor.
- ZZ Ward - Music artist
- "Roseburg High School". Roseburg.k12.or.us. 2013-02-06. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "Roseburg High School - Roseburg, Oregon". Schools.publicschoolsreport.com. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- [dead link]
- newsreview.info - Serving Roseburg & Douglas County, Oregon - News