Roselle Park High School
|Roselle Park High School|
|185 West Webster Avenue
Roselle Park, NJ 07204
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Roselle Park School District|
|Vice Principals||Ellen Bachert (Academics)
Peter Lubrecht (Athletics)
|Faculty||88.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||601 (as of 2012-13)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.78:1|
|Color(s)||Cardinal and White|
|Athletics conference||Union County Interscholastic Athletic Conference|
Roselle Park High School is a four-year public high school located in Roselle Park, in Union County, New Jersey, United States, as part of the Roselle Park School District. Starting as of 2007, Roselle Park High School serves grades 9-12. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1928.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 626 students and 49.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.78:1. There were 162 students (25.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 65 (10.4% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 122nd-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 190th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 156th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 104th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 92 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (88.3%) and language arts literacy (94.5%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The current location is the fourth home for the high school. On April 30, 1931, the cornerstone was laid for a new building for the high school that was to be constructed at a cost of $350,000. In January 1961, Roselle Park voters rejected a proposal for the construction of a new high school that would have cost $2.5 million to build.
The high school was originally located at the site of today's Robert Gordon Elementary School. The school moved to a second building, now demolished, on Locust Street. The third incarnation of the high school was located in what is now the current Roselle Park Middle School. In 1993, a new wing was constructed, adding three additional classrooms.
Roselle Park High School now competes in the Union County Interscholastic Athletic Conference, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Prior to the 2010 realignment, the school had participated in the Mountain Valley Conference.
Core members of the district's administration are:
- Sarah Costa - Principal
- Ellen Bachert - Vice Principal of Academics
- Peter Lubrect - Vice Principal of Athletics
- Rick Barry (born 1944), professional basketball player.
- Keith Loneker (born 1971), former NFL player, actor.
- Alan Pasqua (born 1952), pianist, composer and jazz musician.
- Dr. Dave, Dave Hnida (born 1954), Medical Editor CBS TV Denver, decorated Iraq MASH Veteran
- Bob Stack, PhD (born 1954), biochemist with +50 patents and published journal articles
- Data for Roselle Park High, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 10, 2012.
- Roselle Park High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed September 6, 2011.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 12, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed September 6, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Staff. "Lays Stone for Roselle Park School.", The New York Times, May 1, 1931. Accessed September 6, 2011.
- Staff. "Jersey School Voted Down", The New York Times, January 18, 1961. Accessed September 6, 2011.
- About The School, Roselle Park High School. Accessed September 6, 2011.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 12, 2012.
- Student Handbook 2010-2011, Roselle Park High School. Accessed September 6, 2011.
- "Best in the West", Time (magazine), January 13, 1975. Accessed May 19, 2007. "Barry has worked for a long time to become the game's premier forward. He took to the basketball court at age five to play against his older brother Dennis when the Barrys lived in Roselle Park, N.J."
- Keith Loneker, database Football. Accessed August 18, 2007.
- Roselle Park High School website
- Roselle Park High School's 2010–11 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Roselle Park School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- Roselle Park High School bio on greatschools.net