|Occupation||Medium and Healer|
|Children||Samantha Altea (b. 1970)|
Rosemary Altea is a British author and psychic. She has appeared on various programs, including Larry King Live, The Oprah Winfrey Show (with Michael Shermer in 1995). She has written five books and claims to have a "Healing Society".
Altea was born in Leicester, England to Lilian and William Edwards, and has two brothers and three sisters. Her formal education ended at the age of 16 when she left school and then got married when she was 19. Altea is divorced and has one daughter born in 1970.
In 2001 Altea inherited a farm in Dorset, Vermont from Llewella Day, an elderly cancer victim. Ms. Day changed her will shortly before she died, thereby cutting her family out and leaving the $740,000 farm to Altea, with the desire it remain a working farm. Altea successfully fought Day's family's attempts to invalidate the will, and—against Ms. Day's wishes—demolished the farm house to make the farm into a "a healing foundation". The family argued in court that Altea used "undue influence to convince a dying woman to change her will."
Altea was featured on Penn and Teller's Bullshit! in the episode "Talking to the Dead." Kevin Christopher of the Skeptical Inquirer wrote that the segment on Altea "was a nice expose of Rosemary Altea during a taped reading arranged by Showtime. Viewers got a clear picture of how she worked the small group of people present for readings prior to the taping in order to glean information for later use. Skeptic and Mentalist Mark Edward replicated the cold reading tactics she used and showed how her publicist, Joni Evans, seeded the group with people whose biographies were already known to Altea in order to boost her on-camera success." a clear example of hot reading Investigator Joe Nickell believes modern day self-proclaimed mediums like Altea are avoiding the Victorian tradition of dark rooms, spirit handwriting and flying tambourines as these methods risk exposure. They instead use "mental mediumship" tactics like cold reading or gleaning information from sitters beforehand. Group readings also improve hits by making general statements with conviction, which will fit at least one person in the audience.
On 26 January 2007 Altea appeared on Larry King Live with sceptic James Randi. When asked on the show to take the One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge, she refused to answer whether she would take the test.
In 2009, Altea learned that Denise M. Hall, her accountant, had stolen $200,000 from her since, using four credit cards to obtain cash advances, forging cheques and giving herself unauthorised electronic paychecks all under Altea's name.
- The Eagle and the Rose: A Remarkable True Story. Warner Vision, 1996 ISBN 0446603643
- Soul Signs: An Elemental Guide to Your Spiritual Destiny. Rodale Books, 2004 ISBN 1579549489
- You Own the Power: Stories And Exercises To Inspire And Unleash The Force Within. Harper Paperbacks, 2001. ISBN 0060959363
- Proud Spirit: Lessons, Insights & Healing From 'the Voice Of The Spirit World'. Harper Paperbacks, 1998 ISBN 0688160670
- Give the Gift of Healing: A Concise Guide to Spiritual Healing. Harper Paperbacks, 2004 ISBN 0060738111
- A Matter of Life and Death: Remarkable True Stories of Hope and Healing, Tarcher, 2007 ISBN 1585425532
- "Rosemary Altea: Biography". William Morris Talent Agency. 2007. Retrieved 7 July 2007.
- "Psychic appeals court ruling". Rutland Herald. 10 September 2001.
- "Altea's website". Retrieved 8 July 2007.
- "Rosemary Altea v. Mary Jane Osborne, Lynne August, and Rick and Geraldine Burnet". morelaw.com. 3/9/2003. Retrieved 7 July 2007.
- Christopher, Kevin (May–June 2003). "Penn & Teller series exposes paranormal B.S. and gains audience". Skeptical Inquirer. Retrieved 28 December 2006.
- "Investigative Files: John Edward: Hustling the Bereaved". CSI. Nov–Dec 2001. Retrieved 12 May 2011.
- "Altea and James Randi". Larry King Live. 26 January 2007. Retrieved 28 December 2006.
- "Woman accepts guilt in defrauding psychic". Rutland Herald. 14 July 2009. Retrieved 28 September 2009.
- "Feds: Bookkeeper steals fortune from psychic". Rutland Herald. 11 June 2009. Retrieved 28 September 2009.
|Find more about Rosemary Altea at Wikipedia's sister projects|
|Definitions and translations from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|
- Larry King Live: Rosemary Altea Discusses `You Own the Power' 15 March 2000
- Larry King Live: Spiritual Medium Versus Paranormal Skeptic (Altea verses James Randi) 5 June 2001
- Larry King Live: Interview With Rosemary Altea 13 December 2002
- Larry King Live: Have Psychics Gone Too Far? 26 January 2007 (Altea and James Randi)