Rosemount Middle School
|Rosemount Middle School|
|Rosemount, Minnesota, USA|
|Motto||You miss school, you miss out.|
|Number of students||1,100+|
|School color(s)||Blue, Green, and Gold|
During the 1999-00 school year, Rosemount Middle was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive. The school is not a Title 1 school and in 2007 failed meeting Adequate Yearly Progress due to special education students not being proficient in math or reading. In the 2010-2011 school year, the RMS test scores dropped to below meeting the standards.
Part of the school building dates back to 1918 and a decision was taken in 1992 to preserve this when the school was too poor to replace it with a new area. In 1992 a rooftop fire broke out that caused $5000 to $6000 worth of damage during construction of a new addition on the school. The addition added classroom space for 300 students.
The students are known for their fund-raising efforts for charity, raising over $7,000 in 2005 for example.
The following schools feed into Rosemount Middle:
- Diamond Path Elementary
- Rosemount Elementary School
- Red Pine Elementary School
- Shannon Park Elementary School
Students by Grade
- Grade 6 - 426 students
- Grade 7 - 387 students
- Grade 8 - 406 students
Students by Ethnicity
- American Indian - n/a
- Asian - 2%
- Hispanic 5%
- Black - 5%
- White - 88%
- "BLUE RIBBON SCHOOLS PROGRAM Schools Recognized 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002", U.S. Department of Education
- "Rosemount Middle School is named Blue Ribbon School", Sara Pool, Minnesota This Week, September 29, 2000
- "Rosemount Middle School gets federal accolade", Pam Miller, Star Tribune, May 23, 2000.
- CIBA cited as one of the best by Education Department, Journal Inquirer, November 16, 2006. "The Blue Ribbon award is given only to schools that reach the top 10 percent of their state's testing scores over several years or show significant gains in student achievement. It is considered the highest honor a school can achieve."
- Viers Mill School Wins Blue Ribbon; School Scored High on Statewide Test; The Washington Post. September 29, 2005 "For their accomplishments, all three schools this month earned the status of Blue Ribbon School, the highest honor the U.S. Education Department can bestow upon a school."
- "SOUTH-METRO SCHOOLS LISTED AS NOT MAKING "ADEQUATE YEARLY PROGRESS" UNDER THE 2001 FEDERAL NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND LAW" (September 19, 2007) Star Tribune
- "ROSEMOUNT UPGRADING HISTORIC SCHOOL BUILDING//RENOVATION OF MIDDLE SCHOOL WING IS TO ACCOMMODATE GROWTH", Gita Sitaramiah, St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 18, 1998.
- "ROSEMOUNT MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS TO RETURN MONDAY " (October 16, 1992), Saint Paul Pioneer Press
- O'Connor, Debra (November 13, 1991) "BOARD BREATHES EASIER AS VOTERS APPROVE SPENDING FOR SCHOOLS", Saint Paul Pioneer Press
- "A partnership between Starbucks and Rosemount Middle School helped raise money for hospitalized children", Pam Rutyna, Minnesota This Week, December 30, 2005.
- Rosemount Middle School, Public School Review
- "ROSEMOUNT MIDDLE (039):", Minnesota Department of Education
- "Rosemount Middle", National Center for Education Statistics