|Born||Rosemary Ann Sexton
16 July 1977
|Other names||The Surgeon|
|Height||5 ft 4 in (1.63 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Reach||64.0 in (163 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Manchester, England|
Brown belt in |
Black belt in Tae Kwon Do
Black belt in The Jitsu Foundation Jiu Jitsu
|Years active||2002 - 2014|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Rosemary Ann Sexton PhD (born 16 July 1977) is a retired British female mixed martial artist (MMA). She is also a sports therapist, osteopath, mathematician and writer for Fighters Only magazine.
Rosi Sexton was born in France but moved to Britain at a young age,and grew up and received her education in the United Kingdom. She attended Kendrick School, Reading and Trinity College, Cambridge where she took a first in mathematics (1998). She was awarded a PhD in Theoretical computer science by the University of Manchester (2003) supervised by Harold Simmons in the School of Mathematics, following which she trained in osteopathy, receiving a degree in that subject from Oxford Brookes University in 2010. She currently practices as an Osteopath in the Manchester area. Sexton has been involved in martial arts since schooldays, and has competitive experience in Mixed Martial Arts and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and holds dan grades in jujutsu and Tae Kwon Do.
In 2000, after 10 years' experience in martial arts, she decided to train in MMA as a way of proving to herself that what she had learned was applicable to real life.
Despite having completed a First Class Mathematics degree at the University of Cambridge and a PhD in Theoretical Computer Science at the University of Manchester (specifically pointless topology), Sexton decided to become a full-time mixed martial artist. While pursuing her mixed martial arts career she has also qualified as an osteopath.
Mixed martial arts career
Sexton made her mixed martial arts debut on 11 May 2002. She won her first five fights before moving up in weight to face Gina Carano on 15 September 2006. Sexton was defeated by knockout late in the second round.
Sexton debuted for BodogFight on 16 December 2006 and upset Brazilian submission specialist Carina Damm with an armbar late in the first round.
On 17 February 2007, Sexton faced Japanese striker "Windy" Tomomi Sunaba at a BodogFight event in Costa Rica. Sexton won the fight by Technical Decision in the second round after Sunaba suffered a serious ankle injury.
Sexton fought once more for BodogFight and submitted Julia Berezikova on 24 August 2007.
Sexton signed an exclusive three-fight contract with Elite XC in June 2008. She faced Debi Purcell at the 15 August 2008 ShoXC event in Friant, California and defeated Purcell by split decision.
Bellator Fighting Championships
Sexton was scheduled to face Angela Magana at CWFC 37: Right To Fight on 22 May 2010, but Magana suffered an injury and Sexton was matched against Emi Fujino. However, due to Sexton's re-signing with Bellator, her CWFC fight was cancelled.
As a result of the knockout loss, Sexton was given a 60-day medical suspension and did not compete in the Bellator women's 115-pound tournament.
Cage Warriors Fighting Championship
Sexton was scheduled to face Sheila Gaff at Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 43 on 9 July 2011 for the Cage Warriors Women's Super Flyweight Championship at 125 pounds. However, she suffered a concussion during training and was forced to withdraw from the fight.
On 2 June 2012, Sexton faced Aisling Daly at Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 47. The bout was part of a tournament to crown a Cage Warriors 125-pound women's champion. Sexton defeated Daly by unanimous decision to advance to the tournament final.
Sexton was scheduled to face Sheila Gaff in the finals at Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 49 on 27 October 2012 in Cardiff, Wales. Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) drug testing was used in the weeks prior to the planned fight. However, the bout was cancelled on 19 October when Gaff withdrew due to illness.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
On 26 October 2013, Sexton returned to the Octagon and faced Jessica Andrade at UFC Fight Night 30. She lost the fight via unanimous decision. Sexton was released from the promotion shortly after the fight.
On June 21, 2014, Sexton announced her retirement from MMA competition.
Sexton has one son.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|18 matches||13 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||13-5||Joanna Jędrzejczyk||KO (punch)||Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 69||7 June 2014||2||2:36||London, England|
|Loss||13-4||Jessica Andrade||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Munoz||26 October 2013||3||5:00||Manchester, England|
|Loss||13-3||Alexis Davis||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 161||15 June 2013||3||5:00||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
|Win||13-2||Aisling Daly||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 47||2 June 2012||3||5:00||Dublin, Ireland||CWFC Women's Flyweight Tournament Semifinal|
|Win||12-2||Roxanne Modafferi||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 40||26 February 2011||3||5:00||North London, England|
|Win||11-2||Sally Krumdiack||TKO (punches)||Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 39||27 November 2010||2||4:07||Cork, Ireland|
|Loss||10-2||Zoila Frausto Gurgel||KO (knee and punches)||Bellator 23||24 June 2010||1||2:00||Louisville, Kentucky, United States|
|Win||10-1||Valerie Coolbaugh||Submission (armbar)||Bellator 12||19 June 2009||1||3:40||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Win||9-1||Debi Purcell||Decision (split)||ShoXC: Suganuma vs. Hamman II||15 August 2008||3||3:00||Friant, California, United States|
|Win||8-1||Julia Berezikova||Submission (armbar)||BodogFight - Vancouver||24 August 2007||2||1:49||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||7-1||Tomomi Sunaba||Technical Decision (unanimous)||BodogFight - Costa Rica||17 February 2007||2||1:05||San José, Costa Rica|
|Win||6-1||Carina Damm||Submission (armbar)||BodogFight - St. Petersburg||16 December 2006||1||4:15||Saint Petersburg, Russia|
|Loss||5-1||Gina Carano||KO (punch)||World Pro Fighting Championships||15 September 2006||2||4:55||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||5-0||Dina Van den Hooven||TKO (corner stoppage)||CWFC - Strike Force 4||26 November 2005||3||5:00||English Midlands, England||Won Cage Warriors 132 lbs women's title|
|Win||4-0||Kelli Salone||Submission (armbar)||P & G 1 - Pride and Glory 1||1 February 2004||1||3:45||Cardiff, Wales|
|Win||3-0||Carla O'Sullivan||Submission (rear-naked choke)||CWFC 3 - Cage Warriors 3||16 March 2003||1||N/A||Hampshire, England|
|Win||2-0||Serena Saunders||Submission (armbar)||CWFC 1 - Armageddon||27 July 2002||1||0:40||London, England|
|Win||1-0||Angela Boyce||Submission (armbar)||G & S 5 - Grapple & Strike 5||11 May 2002||3||N/A||Worcester, England|
- Black belt in Tae Kwon Do
- Black belt in TJF Jiu Jitsu
- Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Cage Warriors Women's 132 lbs Champion (2005)
- BodogFight Women's 125 lbs Champion
- First British Woman to Fight in the UFC
- Rosi Sexton on Twitter
- Dr Rosi Sexton: 'Fighting is a normal part of human nature'
- Professional MMA record for Rosi Sexton from Sherdog
- Rosi Sexton is an unlikely caged figher, BBC Interview, February 2003
- "The fight of her life". guardian.co.uk, by Andy Darling. 2007-09-05. Retrieved 2008-08-18.
- Rosi Sexton PhD Supplements sponsorship
- Sexton, Rosemary Ann (2003). A point-free and point-sensitive analysis of the patch assembly (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.
- Sexton, Rosemary A.; Simmons, Harold (2006). "Point-sensitive and point-free patch constructions". Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra 207 (2): 433. doi:10.1016/j.jpaa.2005.10.013.
- "Rosi Sexton on Point-free topology". Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- "Exclusive: One-on-one with Rosi Sexton, PhD (Part I)". FightTicker.com. 2008-08-28. Retrieved 2009-08-06.
- "Koubousen Companion: Japan News". Sherdog.com. 2007-05-24. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "BRITISH FIGHTER ROSI SEXTON SIGNS WITH ELITE XC". MMAWeekly.com. 2008-06-15. Retrieved 2008-08-18.
- "Hamman Exacts ShoXC Revenge". Sherdog.com. 2008-08-16. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Bellator Crowns Alvarez, Lombard". Sherdog.com. 2009-06-20. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Rosi Sexton Plans Return At CWFC 37 In May". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "Magana Confirms Fight With Sexton At CWFC 37". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-04-19.
- "Magana Out, Fujino To Face Sexton At CWFC 37". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Bellator signs Rosi Sexton, adds her to season-three 115-pound women's tourney". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- "Sexton Returns To Bellator, Off CWFC 37 Card". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- "Sexton vs Frausto A Possibility For Bellator 23". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-06-01.
- "Zoila Frausto Knocks Out Rosi Sexton". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-06-24.
- "Rosi Sexton out, Zoila Frausto possibly in for Bellator season-three women's tourney". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- "Sexton vs Krumdiack, Daly vs Helsel At CWFC 39". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-10-23.
- "Rosi Sexton, Aisling Daly Win At Cage Warriors 39". MMARising.com. 2010-11-27. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
- "Rosi Sexton vs Roxanne Modafferi Set For Cage Warriors 40". MMARising.com. 2010-12-20. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- "Rosi Sexton Edges Roxanne Modafferi At Cage Warriors 40". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Rosi Sexton vs Sheila Gaff Planned For Cage Warriors 43". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- "Rosi Sexton Injured, Out Of Cage Warriors 43 Title Fight". MMARising.com. 2011-06-22. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Cage Warriors 125-Pound Women’s Tournament Set For April". MMARising.com. 2011-12-16. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- "Rosi Sexton vs Aisling Daly Official For CWFC 47 On June 2". MMARising.com. 2012-04-16. Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- "Rosi Sexton Defeats Aisling Daly At Cage Warriors 47". MMARising.com. 2012-06-02. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Rosi Sexton vs Sheila Gaff Official For Cage Warriors 49". MMARising.com. 2012-09-06. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "Sheila Gaff Withdraws From CWFC Title Bout With Rosi Sexton". MMARising.com. 2012-10-19. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "Alexis Davis Returns to Winnipeg; This Time to Fight in the UFC Octagon". TopMMANews.com. 2013-04-04. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- "UFC 161 results/photos: Alexis Davis outgrapples Rosi Sexton in decision win". MMAjunkie.com. 2013-06-15. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Rosi Sexton To Face Jéssica Andrade At UFC Fight Night 30". MMARising.com. 2013-08-27. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- "Jéssica Andrade Defeats Rosi Sexton At UFC Fight Night 30". MMARising.com. 2013-10-26. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "UFC Fight Night 30 results: Jessica Andrade brutalizes Rosi Sexton". MMAjunkie.com. 2013-10-26. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Sotiropoulos, Sexton and Sakara released from the UFC". msn.foxsports.com. 2013-12-19.
- "UFC, Bellator, Cage Warriors vet Rosi Sexton announces retirement from MMA". mmajunkie.com. June 21, 2014.
- "Rosi Sexton". 2007-08-01. Retrieved 2008-08-19.