Rosie Ledet at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, 2004
|Birth name||Mary Roszela Bellard|
|Also known as||The Zydeco Sweetheart|
|Born||October 25, 1971|
|Origin||Church Point, Louisiana|
|Occupation(s)||musician, singer, songwriter|
Raised in rural Louisiana, she listened to rock music in her youth. Although she was in an environment where zydeco was heard, she took little interest in the music at the time. It was when she was sixteen that she first got fascinated with zydeco music. She attended a zydeco dance at Richard's, a famous zydeco club in Lawtell, Louisiana, and saw Boozoo Chavis play which got her started to learning the music. At this dance, she also met Morris Ledet, her husband to be.
She learned the accordion watching Morris play. When he heard her, he stepped aside allowing her the spotlight, and became her accompanist on the bass guitar. Morris, then brought Rosie to his producer, Mike Lachney,a/k/a DJ BAD WEATHER (veteran zydeco producer). Mike was so impressed, that he quickly set up a recording session. Mike then took Rosie to Floyd Soileau, of Maison De Soul label. Floyd also was impressed and gave Mike a contract to produce five albums on Rosie. She started playing around Louisiana and Texas in 1994. The same year, she released her debut album Sweet Brown Sugar on Maison De Soul label.
She is a young female zydeco accordion player famous in the genre for her sultry and suggestive lyrics. She continues to tour and record with her band the Zydeco Playboys.
She resides in Iota, Louisiana.
She is scheduled to play the New Orleans Jazz and heritage festival May 1.
- 1994 Sweet Brown Sugar (Maison de Soul)
- 1995 Zesty Zydeco (Maison de Soul)
- 1997 Zydeco Sensation (Maison de Soul)
- 1999 I'm a Woman (Maison de Soul)
- 2000 It's a Groove Thing! (Maison de Soul)
- 2001 Show Me Something (Maison de Soul)
- 2003 Now's the Time (Maison de Soul)
- 2005 Pick It Up (Maison de Soul)
- 2011 Come Get Some (JSP Records)
- Official website
- Pick It Up: Rosie Ledet LSU Eunice website
- Biography on Piedmont Talent
- Biography on AMG
- Rosie Ledet first record producer
|This article about a United States singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|