||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (May 2011)|
Anna Rose "Rosie" Napravnik (born February 9, 1988 in Mendham Township, New Jersey) is an American thoroughbred horse racing jockey. The daughter of a horseshoer and a riding instructor and horse trainer, she has been around horses all of her life. In 2005 she took out her jockey license and since then has been among or at the top of racing jockeys' earnings and has been the top female rider in the United States.
Rosie Napravnik's breakout year was 2006 when she finished 31st in the national earnings title with 300 victories out of 1,465 mounts and earnings of $6,395,075. She won riding titles at Pimlico Race Course and Laurel Park Racecourse in Maryland at all four meets. Napravnik was runner-up to Julien Leparoux for the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Apprentice Jockey that year.
In 2009, she finished 40th in the national earnings title with 184 victories out of 1,109 mounts and with earnings of $5,176,563. She finished second in the jockey standings at Delaware Park with 152 winners out of 556 mounts with earnings of $2,623,767.
In 2012, she placed 8th for the year in national earnings.
Napravnik has had numerous injuries throughout her career. Delaware Online reported, "In addition to spinal compression injuries, she’s broken her left arm three times, twice broken her wrist, broken her collarbone and fractured two bones in her left leg."
In 2013, she was named captain of the three member "Girls' Team" for the Shergar Cup jockey competition at Ascot Racecourse in the United Kingdom where she was the leading female rider of the team. In October, she became the first woman to win the leading rider title at Keeneland Race Course.
Napravnik rode Pants on Fire to a 9th place finish at the 2011 Kentucky Derby, the best finish for a woman in the history of the Derby. She broke that record at the 2013 Kentucky Derby, finishing 5th aboard Mylute. She was only the sixth woman to ride in the Kentucky Derby.
Napravnik rode in the Preakness Stakes for the first time in 2013, finishing third while riding Mylute. In doing so, she was only the third woman to ever ride in the Preakness, and had the highest-placed finish for any woman jockey in that race. Adding the Preakness to her 2011 Kentucky Derby and 2012 Belmont races, she also became the first woman ever to have ridden in all three US Triple Crown races.
Napravnik rode in the Belmont Stakes for the first time in 2012. She finished 5th aboard Five Sixteen. She rode the filly Unlimited Budget to a 6th place finish in the 2013 Belmont, becoming the first woman to ride all three Triple Crown races in the same year.
She won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile aboard Shanghai Bobby in 2012, becoming only the second woman to win a Breeder's Cup race. In 2013, she is set to ride Untapable in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies.
|National Earnings List for Jockeys 2006||31|
|National Earnings List for Jockeys 2008||63|
|National Earnings List for Jockeys 2009||40|
|National Earnings List for Jockeys 2010||30|
|National Earnings List for Jockeys 2011||24|
|National Earnings List for Jockeys 2012||8|
- April 17, 2006 Washington Post article on Rosie Napravnik titled She's a Riding Giant
- June 11, 2006 New York Times article on Rosie Napravnik titled Graduation Day at the Racetrack
- January 31, 2007 Thoroughbred Times article titled Jockey Napravnik sidelined 8 to 12 weeks
- January 9, 2009 NYRA.com article titled It's A Rosy Future For Napravnik[dead link]
- March 26, 2011 ESPN article 'Pants On Fire' upsets
- January 25, 2013 The Guardian article titled Rosie Napravnik: 'I had a dream of winning the Derby on Shanghai Bobby'
- May 3, 2013 ESPNW report Rosie Napravnik was born to ride
- The Guardian
- Ed Zieralski (2013-06-08). "Horse racing: Notable women jockeys". UTSanDiego.com. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- Delaware Online
- Ed Zieralski (2013-06-08). "Timeline: horse racing's women jockeys Page 1 of 2". UTSanDiego.com. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- [dead link]
- Ed Zieralski (2013-06-08). "Many reasons for lack of women jockeys Page 1 of 4". UTSanDiego.com. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- Thomas, Colleen (2013-06-04). "Rosie Napravnik has another shot at history aboard Unlimited Budget at Belmont". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- "Horse Racing Statistics | Race Stats | Thoroughbred Racing Statistics". Equibase.com. Retrieved 2013-06-14.