Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery
Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery is a contemporary art gallery in Sydney, Australia, owned and operated by Roslyn Oxley and her husband Tony Oxley. The gallery has been at the forefront of contemporary art and its promotion in the Asia-Pacific region for over 30 years, both through a longstanding commitment to art fairs, and more generally through supporting the cause of contemporary art. Artists represented by Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery include Isaac Julien, Yayoi Kusama and many recent representatives for Australia and New Zealand at the Venice Biennale.
The gallery opened in Macdonald Street, Paddington, in March 1982 with an exhibition of paintings by Gareth Sansom. The gallery’s second exhibition was part of the Biennale of Sydney, when gallery artist Juan Davila’s multi-panel work Stupid as a Painter quickly gained notoriety.
In 1990, the gallery moved to its current location in Soudan Lane, Paddington, opening with an exhibition of paintings by John Nixon. That year the gallery was invited to participate at Art Cologne, the first of many involvements at international art fairs.
In 1993, Jenny Watson became the first Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery artist to represent Australia at the Venice Biennale, with subsequent artists being Bill Henson (1995), Patricia Piccinini (2003), Callum Morton (2007), Hany Armanious (2011) and Fiona Hall (2015). Representing New Zealand have been gallery artists Jacqueline Fraser (2001), Michael Parekowhai (2011) and Bill Culbert (2013). During the 1980s and 1990s, gallery artists were also selected for the Venice Biennale’s ‘Aperto’ section, including Dale Frank (1984), Maria Kozic (1986) and Tracey Moffatt (1997).
Another hallmark of Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery has been the regular exhibition of artists not represented by the gallery. These have included Marc Newson (1986), Harry Seidler (1992, 2004), Pierre et Gilles (1995), Erwin Olaf (1996), Robert Mapplethorpe (1996, 1997, 2000), William Yang (1997), Mariko Mori (1997), Elmgreen and Dragset (2000), Tracey Emin (2004), Hernan Bas (2007) and Michael Bell-Smith (2007).
Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery has become Sydney’s most internationally visible gallery. In January 2013, Roslyn Oxley and Tony Oxley were awarded Medals of the Order of Australia for their services to the country’s visual arts and the community.
Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery represents a diverse list of over 40 contemporary artists, and the estates of Robert Campbell Junior, Rosalie Gascoigne and Bronwyn Oliver. The gallery has nurtured the international careers of Australian artists such as A Constructed World, Fiona Hall, Bill Henson, Tracey Moffatt, David Noonan and Patricia Piccinini, and has actively promoted the work of international artists such as Wim Delvoye, Isaac Julien, Teppei Kaneuji and Yayoi Kusama.
As well as the Venice Biennale, gallery artists have often exhibited at major international surveys, including: the Asia Pacific Triennial of Contemporary Art (Daniel Boyd, Destiny Deacon, Fiona Hall,Newell Harry, Tracey Moffatt, Bronwyn Oliver, Michael Parekowhai, Gareth Sansom, Kathy Temin and Rohan Wealleans); the Auckland Triennial (Fiona Hall, Callum Morton, Michael Parekowhai, Julie Rrap and Kathy Temin); the Berlin Biennale (Patricia Piccinini); the Biennale of Sydney (James Angus, Hany Armanious, Destiny Deacon, Mikala Dwyer, Dale Frank, Rosalie Gascoigne, Fiona Hall, Newell Harry, Lindy Lee, Tracey Moffatt, TV Moore, Callum Morton, David Noonan, Michael Parekowhai, Patricia Piccinini,Julie Rrap, Gareth Sansom, Vivienne Shark LeWitt, Jenny Watson, Rohan Wealleans, John Wolseley, Nyapanyapa Yunupingu and Anne Zahalka); the Busan Biennale (Hany Armanious, TV Moore, Callum Morton and David Noonan); documenta (Tony Clark, Destiny Deacon and Fiona Hall); the Gwangju Biennale (Tracey Moffatt, Michael Parekowhai and Patricia Piccinini); the Istanbul Biennial (Newell Harry) and David Noonan); the Liverpool Biennial (Tracey Moffatt and Patricia Piccinini); Biennale d’art contemporain de Lyon (Tracey Moffatt); Manifesta (Kathy Temin); the Moscow Biennale (Fiona Hall); São Paulo Art Biennial (Michael Parekowhai); the Singapore Biennale (Tracey Moffatt); the Tate Triennial (David Noonan); and the Yokohama Triennale (Destiny Deacon).
Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery participated in the inaugural Melbourne Art Fair in 1988, and since 1990 has been especially active in the international arena. Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery appeared for seven consecutive years at Art Cologne (1990–96, 2012). In 1996 it was invited to Art Basel in Basel, appearing for 13 consecutive years. There have been regular appearances at Art Forum Berlin (1997–98, 2010), ARCO (2000–02), The Armory Show (2000–04, 2006), Art Hong Kong (2010–14) and the VIP Art Fair (2011–12). In 2013, Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery was the only Australian gallery to exhibit at Frieze New York. The same year it was selected by the international editors of Time Out as one of the highlights of Art Basel Hong Kong.
Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery’s extensive photographic archive has contributed to a number of exhibition catalogues, monographs and artist books, including:
- Contemporary Art from Australia and New Zealand published by Art & Australia Pty Ltd and Dott Publishing (http://www.artaustralia.com/current.asp)
- Del Kathryn Barton published by Piper Press (http://www.piperpress.com.au/piperpress.com.au/News/Entries/2013/3/24_Del_Katrhyn_Barton.html)
- Fiona Hall published by Piper Press (http://www.piperpress.com.au/piperpress.com.au/Art_Books.html)
- Julie Rrap: Body Double published by the Museum of Contemporary Art and Piper Press (http://www.piperpress.com.au/piperpress.com.au/Art_Books.html)
- Patricia Piccinini: Nearly Beloved published by Piper Press (http://www.piperpress.com.au/piperpress.com.au/Piccinini.html)
- Sydney Morning Herald review of Melbourne Art Fair 2014, including Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery. http://johnmcdonald.net.au/2014/melbourne-art-fair-2014/. Sydney Morning Herald, 23 August 2014. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- The Monthly review of Linda Marrinon at Rolsyn Oxley9 Gallery. http://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/2014/05/17/the-sculptural-works-william-kentridge-linda-marrinon/1400248800#.VAwNOSjEPdk. The Monthly, 17 May 2014. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- ARTAND interview with Isaac Julien at Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery. http://www.artandaustralia.com/news/interview/isaac-julien-playtime. ARTAND, March 2014. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Vogue Living Australia review of Daniel Boyd show at Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery. http://www.vogue.com.au/vogue+living/arts/aboriginal+artist+daniel+boyds+new+exhibition+traces+memories+lost+and+found,29085. Vogue Living Australia, 24 January 2014. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- ARTAND featured article on Linda Marrinon. http://www.artandaustralia.com/magazine/issue-19/a-correct-and-delicate-mind-linda-marrinons-recent-sculpture. ARTAND, November 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Frieze review of Hany Armanious at Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery. http://www.frieze.com/issue/review/hany-armanious/. frieze, October 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Sydney Morning Herald review of Wim Delvoye at Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery. http://johnmcdonald.net.au/2012/fred-sandback-wim-delvoye-abstract-canvas-philip-king-2/. Sydney Morning Herald, 18 February 2012. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- New York Times review of the 54th Venice Biennale, including Hany Armanious. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/arts/design/the-54th-venice-biennale-sedate-and-pumped-up-review.html?pagewanted=all. New York Times, 8 June 2011. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Sydney Morning Herald review of Gareth Sansom at Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery. http://johnmcdonald.net.au/2010/william-kentridge-phillip-king-gareth-sansom/. Sydney Morning Herald 31 July 2010. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- ArtAsiaPacific review of Bill Henson at Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery. http://artasiapacific.com/Magazine/69/SydneyTheReturnOfBillHenson. ArtAsiaPacific, July–August 2010. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Artforum review of TV Moore at Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery. http://artforum.com/archive/id=24225. Artforum, 23 November 2009. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Frieze review of Kathy Temin at Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery. http://www.frieze.com/issue/review/kathy_temin/. frieze, April 2008. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Roslyn Oxley interview for Australian Art Collector. http://www.artcollector.net.au/RoslynOxleyHerCollectors. Australian Art Collector, April–June 2005. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Sydney Morning Herald review of Yayoi Kusama at Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery. http://www.smh.com.au/news/Arts/Points-of-no-return/2005/02/11/1108061857857.html. Sydney Morning Herald, 12 February 2005. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Melouney, Carmel. http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/a-fair-to-remember-why-sydney-galleries-head-to-new-york-and-hong-kong-to-sell-their-art-20130521-2jyx7.html. The Sydney Morning Herald.
- McCulloch, Alan, Susan and Emily (2006). The New Encyclopedia of Australian Art. Melbourne: The Mieunyah Press.
- ARTAND Australia. http://www.artandaustralia.com/news/headlines/fiona-hall-to-represent-australia-at-the-2015-venice-biennale. ARTAND Australia.
- Eichler, Dominic. http://www.frieze.com/issue/review/juan_davila/. Frieze Magazine.
- Michael, Hutak. http://www.docin.com/p-97971070.html#documentinfo. Australian Art Collector.
- Perrottet, Tony. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/travel/in-sydney-lively-culture-amid-natural-beauty.html?_r=0. New York Times.
- Djurichkovic, Alexandra. http://www.artcollector.net.au/Nationalhonoursforthearts?searchTerms%5B%5D=ROSLYN&searchTerms%5B%5D=OXLEY9&searchTerms%5B%5D=GALLERY. Australian Art Collector.
- McDonald, John. http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/foreign-affairs-20120531-1zjpk.html. Sydney Morning Herald.
- Forrest, Nicholas. http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/foreign-affairs-20120531-1zjpk.html. Blouin ARTINFO.
- Jefferson, Dee. http://www.timeout.com.hk/feature-stories/features/58557/art-basel-time-out-international-editors-picks.html. Timeout.
- Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery (http://www.roslynoxley9.com.au/)
- Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery News (http://www.roslynoxley9.com.au/news/)
- Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery on Artnet.com (http://www.artnet.com/galleries/home.asp?gid=118650)
- Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery on Blouinartinfo.com (http://au.blouinartinfo.com/tags/roslyn-oxley9)
- Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery on Ocula.com (http://ocula.com/art-galleries/roslyn-oxley9/)
|This article has not been added to any categories. Please help out by adding categories to it so that it can be listed with similar articles. (September 2014)|