Ross Smith (darts player)
12 January 1989 |
|Walk-on music||Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen|
|Organisation (see split in darts)|
|Current world ranking||55|
|BDO majors - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Quarter-finals: 2011|
|World Masters||Last 40: 2011|
|PDC premier events - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Last 64: 2014|
|Grand Slam||Group stage: 2013|
|UK Open||Last 64: 2013, 2014|
|Other tournament wins|
|PDC Challenge Tour England||2013, 2013, 2013, 2013|
Smith began playing in Professional Darts Corporation events in 2005 and made his debut in the Vauxhall Spring Open, reaching the last 16. Smith then reached the final of the WDF Europe Youth Cup, losing to Dutchman Johnny Nijs. Smith had little success afterwards on the PDC circuit and switched to the BDO in 2007. He reached the last 16 of the 2008 British Classic and the 2008 Czech Open.
Smith qualified for the 2009 BDO World Darts Championship, winning one of five places in the qualifiers in Bridlington. He gained victories over Stuart Kellet, Kevin Simm and Henny van der Ster before beating Scotland's Don Haughton to qualify. He faced Scott Waites in the first round, losing 3-0.
In the 2011 BDO World Darts Championship, he beat Tony O'Shea 3-1 in the first round and Willy van de Wiel 4-1 in the second round, before losing to eventual champion Martin Adams 1-5 in the quarter finals. It was announced at the end of the 2012 BDO World Championship that Ross would be one of many players to compete in the rival PDC's 'Q School' the following season. He earned a tour card through the qualifiers Order of Merit. His best result of 2012 came just one week later as he reached the quarter-finals of the second Players Championship and lost 3–6 to Justin Pipe. Smith qualified for three of the five new European Tour events, but lost in the first round on each occasion. He came very close to defeating world number 5 Simon Whitlock in the third event, the European Darts Open as he led 5–2, but went on to lose 5–6.
Smith headed into 2013 ranked world number 79, and reached his first semi-final on the PDC tour in April at the seventh UK Open Qualifier, where he lost 6–3 to John Part. At the UK Open itself, he fought back from 7–4 down in the third round against Jelle Klaasen to level at 7–7, before being edged out 9–7. He threw a nine-dart finish in the second round of the Gibraltar Darts Trophy against Adrian Lewis, but lost 5–6. Smith won four events on the PDC Challenge Tour during 2013 to top the Order of Merit which has earned him a place in the Grand Slam of Darts and the 2014 World Championship and also a two year PDC tour card which includes all of his 2014 entry fees. In the Grand Slam he lost each of his three games to Simon Whitlock, Wes Newton and Mark Webster to finish bottom of Group G. He played Whitlock in the first round of the World Championship and was beaten 3–0 in sets.
He began 2014 at 54th place in the rankings meaning he rose 25 positions during the previous year. He lost 9–5 in the third round of the UK Open to Kim Huybrechts. Smith's only quarter-final showing of the year came at the 19th Players Championship where he lost 6–3 to Gerwyn Price. He missed out on qualifying for the 2015 World Championship by just £500 on the Pro Tour Order of Merit.
World Championship results
- 2014: First round (lost to Simon Whitlock 0–3)
- "Hankey 'could lead exodus to PDC'". BBC News.
- "Ross Smith 2012". Darts Database. Archived from the original on 28 January 2013. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "2012 PDPA Players Championship Spain Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "European Darts Open Day One". PDC. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Order of Merit on 1 January 2013". PDC. Archived from the original on 9 February 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Seventh Heaven For Huybrechts". PDC. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Speedy Services UK Open - Friday". PDC. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "Gibraltar Darts Trophy Day Two". PDC. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- "Win Earns Smith Challenge Tour Honour". PDC. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "2013 Grand Slam Of Darts Fixtures". Darts Database. Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- "Ladbrokes World Championship Day Five". PDC. 17 December 2013.
- "Order of Merit on 2 January 2014". PDC. Archived from the original on 2 January 2013. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Coral UK Open - Friday Evening". PDC. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Ross Smith 2014". Darts Database. Archived from the original on 5 December 2014. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "2014 Pro Tour Order of Merit". PDC. Archived from the original on 5 December 2014. Retrieved 5 December 2014.