Rosso (bus company)
|Parent||Rossendale Borough Council|
|Service area||Greater Manchester
|Service type||Bus services|
|Fleet||111 (July 2013)|
|Chief executive||Brian Juffs|
Rossendale Transport can trace its history back to 1907 when both Rawtenstall and Haslingden Corporations (both independently) ran a motor bus within their boroughs. Both undertakings merged in 1968 to form Rossendale Joint Transport Committee and later in 1974 with the local government reorganisation the boroughs were merged, along with Bacup (which was already served by Rossendale buses; Bacup Borough not having its own bus company) and Whitworth to form the present Borough of Rossendale.
In August 2013, the Rossendale bus network was rebranded (with a new livery design of red, orange, yellow and white) as Rosso.
Rossendale Transport operates services within the Borough of Rossendale (including the towns of Rawtenstall, Bacup, Whitworth and Haslingden) and into surrounding areas, including Rochdale, Bury, Burnley, Accrington, Blackburn and Todmorden. The network of services in branded as Rosso with vehicles and publicity carrying this name.
The company also operates from a depot on Corporation Road, Rochdale which was established in September 1990 to support new routes introduced in the town following bus deregulation. The site is on the western outskirts of the town centre, located next to the River Roch. Around 40 vehicles are based there.
As at April 2014 the fleet consists of 118 buses.
- Companies House extract company no 2004970 Rossendale Transport Limited
- New-look fleet of Rossendale buses ready to roll Lancashire Telegraph 21 August 2013
- network map Rosso
- "All change at Rawtenstall bus depot". Lancashire Telegraph. 11 September 2008. Retrieved 16 September 2009.
- Postlethwaite, p.36
- Rossendale Transport Limited Fleet List
- Postlethwaite, Harry (2007) Rossendale Transport: A Centenary Celebration 1907–2007, Venture Publications. ISBN 978-1-905304-19-6
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rossendale Transport.|
- Rossendale official website
- Rossendale Yahoo! Group
- Pictures of 100 years Centenary event
- Rossendale Transport Society website