|Elevation||1 m (3 ft)|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
|Irish Grid Reference||G631401|
Rosses Point (Irish: An Ros) is a village in County Sligo, Ireland and also the name of the surrounding peninsula. The point guards Sligo Harbour and is marked by the Metal Man lighthouse, a 3.7 metre (12 ft) high guardian statue placed offshore by local seafarers in 1821 and maintained by the Commissioners of Irish Lights.
Rosses Point is home to the Sligo Yacht Club and the County Sligo Golf Club, which hosts the annual West of Ireland Championship.
The "Waiting on Shore" monument, appropriately situated near the RNLI lifeboat station, depicts a woman holding her arms out to sea. A plate at the base includes the following:
Lost at sea, lost at sea
Or in the evening tide
We loved you, we miss you
May God with you abide.
The Royal National Lifeboat Institution Sligo Bay Lifeboat Station is built next to the pier which harbours a number of fishing vessels. Ewing's Sea Angling and Boat Charters also operate from here and offer a variety of services including deep sea angling, reef fishing, shark fishing (August–October), island services to Coney Island and Inishmurray, and ecotourism cruises.
Elsinore Lodge was the seat of the Middleton Family where the Yeats brothers spent many a summer with their cousins. The house was built by the smuggler John Black or Black Jack. It is said to be still haunted by the ghosts of smugglers tapping on the windows at night. The house has fallen into disrepair and, even though restoration plans have been proposed, it remains derelict.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rosses Point.|
- "The Spanish Armada in Sligo". Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- "La Lavia, La Juliana and the Santa Maria de Vison: three Spanish Armada transports lost off Streedagh Strand, Co Sligo: an interim report". Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- "Condition of Yeats's holiday home a 'scandal'". The Irish Times. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- "Stories behind the book: haunted houses and pirate smugglers in Sligo". Royal Dublin Society. 28 January 2010. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- Oyster Island Lighthouse
- Metal man floating 'lighthouse'
- Metal Man Lighthouse
- Rosses Point
- Ewing's Sea Angling and Boat Charters
- Elsinore Lodge photographs - Frank L. Ludwig
- Plastic Bullet
- Rosses Point Church of Ireland (Sligo Cathedral Church Group)