Rostock University of Music and Theatre
|Rostock University of Music and Theatre (HMT)
Hochschule für Musik und Theater Rostock
The Rostock University of Music and Theatre (short HMT, Hochschule für Musik und Theater Rostock in German) is a college of music in Rostock, Mecklenburg, Germany. It opened in 1994 and is situated in a former abbey called Katharinenkloster in the historical core of the city. The college is a member of the Association of Baltic Academies of Music.
In 1947, a University of Music, Theatre and Dance was inaugurated in Rostock under the direction of the composer Rudolf Wagner-Régeny. In 1978, it became a branch of the Hans Eisler University of Music in Berlin and was directed by Professor Karl-Heinz Will up until 1990. After the political revolution of 1989, this branch was incorporated into the university as the department of musical science.
The Drama College (Rostocker Schauspielschule) was founded in 1968 as the state drama school in Rostock, which in the 80s was turned into a branch of the "Ernst Busch" Academy of Dramatic Art in Berlin. By the turn of 1990/91, the college became the Academy of Dramatic Art of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, a German federal state, and was temporarily continued as the drama department of the University of Rostock.
The University of Music and Theatre in Rostock was legally established by the government of Mecklenburg-West Pomerania on January 1, 1994. The founding rector was Professor Wilfrid Jochims from the University of Music in Cologne. Today, the Rostock University of Music and Theatre is a favourite choice among students throughout Europe. Since June 2004, Prof. Christfried Göckeritz has been the rector of the University.
The first accommodation was in a former school at Bussebart and at the Ulmenstraße, which soon revealed to be very small for the increasing number of students. Since its move in 2001 into the beautifully restored Katharinenstift, made by architect Jons Reimann, the University of Music and Theatre has become a noticed venue for concerts, plays and events. Students and lecturers of the University stage over 300 performances every year for the Rostock public.
The actor, painter and writer Armin Mueller-Stahl is since 2009 part of the direction of this University.
Courses of Studies
- Bachelor of Music (Wind instruments, Voice (all specialities), Guitar, Harp, Piano, Composition, Coaching music theatre, Music theory, Orchestral conducting, Pop and world music (instrumental), Pop and world music (vocal), Percussion, Strings)
- Master of Music (Voice, Chamber Music, Composition, Coaching, Music theory (with focus on New Music), Orchestra, Orchestral conducting, Artistic training (Piano, Guitar, Piano Duo))
- Music Education for General Schools
- Pop | World music
- Performing Arts
- Susanne Bormann (* 1979), Actress
- Caspar Frantz (*1980), Pianist
- Claudia Graue (* 1981), Actress
- Pauline Knof (* 1980), Actress
- Karl Kranzkowski (* 1953), Actor
- Liv Migdal (*1988), Violinist
- Stefan Mocker (* 1972), Actor
- Anne Moll (* 1966), Actress
- Wanda Perdelwitz (* 1984), Actress
- Anne Ratte-Polle (* 1974), Actress
- Nadja Robiné (* 1980), Actress
- Katrin Saß (* 1956), Actress
- Daniela Schober (* 1977), Actress
- Baiba Skride (* 1981), Violinist
- Ines Thomas Almeida (*1982), Singer
- Johannes Richard Voelkel (* 1971), Actor
- Teresa Weißbach (* 1981), Actress
Media related to Rostock University of Music and Theatre at Wikimedia Commons