From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up rotor in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Rotor may refer to:
Science and technology
- A rotating part of a mechanical device, for example in an electric motor, generator, alternator or pump.
- Rotor (electric), the non-stationary part of an alternator or electric motor, operating with a stationary element called the stator.
- Helicopter rotor, the rotary wing(s) of a rotorcraft such as a helicopter
- ROTOR, a former radar project in the UK following the Second World War
- Rotor (turbine), the rotor of a turbine powered by fluid pressure
- Rotor (crank), a variable-angle bicycle crank
- Rotor (brake), the disc of a disc brake, in U.S. terminology
- Rotor (brake mechanism), a device that allows the handlebars and fork to revolve indefinitely without tangling the rear brake cable
- Rotor (distributor), a component of the ignition system of an internal combustion engine
- Rotor (engine), the powered part of a pistonless rotary engine
- Rotor (antenna), an electric motor that rotates an antenna to the direction of transmission or reception
- Rotor machine, the rotating wheels used in certain cipher machines, such as the German Enigma machine
- Rotor (software project), the former code name for Microsoft's shared source implementation of its Common Language Infrastructure
Medicine, biology, chemistry
- The rotating part of a centrifuge, which also holds the samples
- Rotor syndrome, a rare liver disorder
- Rotor (mathematics), an n-blade object in geometric algebra, which rotates another n-blade object about a fixed or translated point
- Curl (mathematics), known as rotor in some countries, a vector operator that shows a vector field's rate of rotation
- SC Rotor Volgograd, a Russian football club
- Rotor (Sonic the Hedgehog), a fictional character from the Sonic the Hedgehog universe
- Rotor (ride), the trade name for an amusement ride
- Rotor (meteorology), a turbulent horizontal vortex that forms in the trough of lee waves
- Rotor, a space colony in Isaac Asimov's novel Nemesis
- R.O.T.O.R., a 1989 science fiction/action movie
- Vibrator (sex toy), a Japanese usage of similar sounds in English. Also spelt as rotar.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.