Rotor Flight Dynamics Dominator
|National origin||United States|
|Manufacturer||Rotor Flight Dynamics|
The Rotor Flight Dynamics Dominator is an American autogyro designed by Ernie Boyette of Rotor Flight Dynamics of Florida, and made available in the form of plans and kits for amateur construction.
Design and development
The Dominator is an open frame autogyro powered by a 52 hp (39 kW) Rotax 503 engine with a pusher propeller. The Dominator has both a single-seat and tandem two-seat variants. It was one of the first autogyros to use a high tailplane to reduce dynamic and aerodynamic torque. The Dominator holds the official world altitude record in its class, at 24,463 ft (7,456 m).
- Dominator I
- Single-seat variant powered by a 52 hp (39 kW) Rotax 503 engine.
- Dominator Tandem
- Two-seat variant powered by a 115 hp (86 kW) Rotax 914, 115 hp (86 kW) Subaru EA-81 automotive conversion, or similar engine.
- Rotor Flight Dynamics Dominator UltraWhite
- Rotor Flight Dynamics Dominator Single
- Single-seat variant powered by a 50 hp (37 kW) Rotax 503 two-stroke or a 115 hp (86 kW) Subaru EA-81 four stroke automotive conversion with an Autoflight gearbox.
Specifications (Dominator I
Data from World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2004/2005
- Crew: 1
- Empty weight: 331 lb (150 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 397 lb (180 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 503 inline 2-cylinder two-stroke piston engine, 52 hp (39 kW)
- Maximum speed: 85 mph; 73 kn (136 km/h)
- Cruising speed: 50 mph; 43 kn (80 km/h)
- Minimum control speed: 12 mph; 10 kn (19 km/h)
- Rate of climb: 790 ft/min (4 m/s)
- Related lists
- World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2004/2005, p. 225
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 185-86. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X