Sakis Tolis on Barge to Hell, 2012
|Genres||Melodic black metal
|Labels||Osmose Productions (1991−1993)
Century Media Records
Season of Mist
Thou Art Lord
|Past members||Jim "Mutilator" Patsouris
George "Magus Wampyr Daoloth" Zaharopoulos
Rotting Christ is a Greek black metal band formed in 1987. They are noted for being one of the first black metal bands within this region, as well as a premier act within the European underground metal scene.
The permanent line-up consists of brothers Sakis Tolis (vocals and guitar) and Themis Tolis (drums). Andreas Lagios was the bassist since 1997, taking the stead of Jim Patsouris until the end of 2011. Nightfall's Giorgos Bokos joined as a guitarist in 2005, replacing Costas Vasilakopoulos. In February 2012, Bokos announced his departure from the band for personal reasons. In December 2012, the new members of the band were announced: guitarist George Emmanuel and bassist Vaggelis Karzis 
During their rehearsal era in the late 1980s, the band began as grindcore and released various demos and splits with other bands from the Athens area. The group would later alter their sound with influence from proto-black metal bands like Celtic Frost and Venom, and in the process became one of the genre's instigators. Their 5 song demo, Satanas Tedeum, would show a grindcore/black metal crossover, followed by their career-breaking EP, Passage to Arcturo, in 1991.
One of band's first major appearances was on the 1993 "Fuck Christ Tour" consisting of Immortal and Blasphemy. During this concert, some audience members had engaged in cutting and self mutilation that resulted in hospitalization. Before signing to Unisound, Mayhem's Øystein Aarseth had expressed interest in distributing the band through his "Deathlike Silence Productions" label, but due to Aarseth's murder the same year, nothing materialized. The band would sign to Century Media in 1996 and remain on their roster for 10 years before joining Season of Mist.
Rotting Christ have played in many countries outside their native Greece, including both Americas, Greater Europe, Russia, the United Kingdom, Malta and the Middle East. Several heavy metal festivals around the world have hosted the band, including the 2003 Wacken Open Air in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. Past tourmates have included My Dying Bride, Tristania, Tiamat, Vintersorg, Finntroll, Agathodaimon, Old Man's Child, Malevolent Creation, Anorexia Nervosa, Vader, Krisiun, Deicide, Behemoth, Melechesh and Nile, among many others.
Rotting Christ was one of the initial bands to be announced to perform the Barge to Hell festival, which is a metal themed cruise organized by Ultimate Metal Cruises and take place aboard Royal Caribbean's 'Majesty of the Seas. Barge to Hell sets sail from Port of Miami on December 3, 2012.
As of 2012[update], Rotting Christ have been around 25 years, one of the longest running bands within the black metal genre. In celebration of the band's longevity, the 2 DVD + 2 CD compilation, "Non Serviam: A 20 Year Apocryphal Story," shot in Athens on December 8, 2007, was released worldwide February 23, 2009.
Aealo, the band's tenth studio album, was released on February 15, 2010 for Europe and February 23, 2010 for the USA.
Over the years, the group has faced controversy due to their name and gained international media attention in November 1999 during the 2000 United States Presidential Primaries for Republican Nomination, when candidate/Christian conservative Gary Bauer accused the band of being "anti-Catholic", among other things. In response to Bauer's criticism, Sakis wrote:
|“||Living in (so called) democratic societies, I think everyone should have the right to call religions as he/she wants. We in fact simply believe they are "rotting"! We are not a "satanic-crusader" type of band but rather one of the many bands that represent the dark side in nowadays Metal music. ||”|
In response to their forced cancellation, Sakis noted:
|“||I didn't expect something like that from Dave Mustaine, because, you know, he's supposed to be metal — you know, 'metal band,' all metal ... I just feel sorry for him and for every new Christian with new ideas, because we think Christianity is the worst thing to happen in human history. This is a well-organized trick in order to control society, so when I see someone that's very much Christian, that's full of the system, I feel very sorry for him because he's not free. ||”|
|“||Everybody is free to believe anything he wants to; I just think that Dave misunderstood the whole subject. I have met the guys from Rotting Christ and I don’t think that they are Satanists or something. I think that Dave overreacted on this. ||”|
When playing in Malta, a country which in its constitution declares itself as Roman Catholic, trouble from the Church and other Catholic groups ensued when an unknown person stuck a Rotting Christ flyer to a church door. The band was allowed to play eventually even though they had to change venue.
Musical style 
Despite the name, the band's traditional lyrical themes involving evil and occultism has evolved into a more "mystic" path, and they have modified their musical direction on each album, utilizing elements such as clean melodic baritone vocals, doom, gothic metal and industrial music traits, and male/female Benedictine chants. Recent albums, beginning with Khronos, have shown the band taking a more modern, faster and more aggressive approach to their blackened-gothic style. Their 2007 album, Theogonia, especially, has been described as more "atmospheric" and "epic" by their label.
The group's choice of producers, engineers and mixers has also been varied; Swedish extreme metal figures Dan Swanö (Unisound), Peter Tägtgren (Abyss Studios) and Fredrik Nordström (Studio Fredman), German producers Andy Classen (Asphyx, Belphegor) Siggi Bemm (Therion, Theatre of Tragedy) and Waldemar Sorychta (Lacuna Coil, The Gathering) as well as Xytras (Samael percussionist/keyboardist) have all contributed to production on the band's albums.
Band members 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Rotting Christ|
- Thy Mighty Contract (November 11, 1993, Osmose Productions)
- Non Serviam (October 10, 1994, Unisound)
- Triarchy of the Lost Lovers (August 20, 1996, Century Media)
- A Dead Poem (October 7, 1997, Century Media)
- Sleep of the Angels (March 9, 1999, Century Media)
- Khronos (August 29, 2000, Century Media)
- Genesis (October 29, 2002, Century Media)
- Sanctus Diavolos (September 20, 2004, Century Media)
- Theogonia (February 6, 2007, Season of Mist)
- Aealo (February 15, 2010, Season of Mist)
- Κata Τon Daimona Εaytoy (Do What Thou Wilt) (March 1, 2013, Season of Mist)
Demos, singles, and DVDs 
- Decline's Return (1988) (demo)
- Leprosy of Death (1988) (unofficial demo)
- The Other Side of Life (1989) (EP split with Sound Pollution)
- Satanas Tedeum (1989) (demo)
- Passage to Arcturo (1991) (EP)
- Split with Monumentum (1991) (split)
- Dawn of the Iconoclast (1991) (EP)
- Ades Wind (1992) (demo)
- Apokathelosis (1993) (EP)
- The Mystical Meeting (1997) (single/live/cover compilation)
- Der Perfekte Traum (1999) (single/Live)
- In Domine Sathana (2003) (live DVD)
- Non Serviam: A 20 Year Apocryphal Story (2009) (live DVD/CD)
- A Soundtrack to Mikael Häll's Doctoral Dissertation (2012, Malört förlag) (7" single, split with Negative Plane)
Best of compilation
- Thanatiphoro Anthologio (2007) (compilation)
- DaRonco, Mike. "Rotting Christ biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- Rotting Christ Aealo Review - HeavyMetal.About.com
- Rotting Christ biography at allmusic
- Necromayhem Discogs
- Necrosauron Discogs
- Mutilator Discogs
- Rotting Christ at bands.metalland.net
- A brief chronicle of the early Hellenic Black Metal movement
- Rotting Christ biography at The Gauntlet
- Anorexia Nervosa Join Vader's Blitzkrieg 3 Tour
- Metal-rules.com interview with Rotting Christ
- Rotting Christ biography at rusmetal.ru
- Rotting Christ interview at tartareandesire.com
- MusicMight :: Artists :: ROTTING CHRIST
- Rotting Christ Mainman Feels 'Sorry' for Megadeth's Dave Mustaine
- DAN LILKER to DAVE MUSTAINE: Break Up Megadeth And Pursue Your Own Love For Jesus On Your Own
- Metal-Temple.com - Warrel Dane interview, 30 June 2005
- PhonoPaca/Season of Mist