Odor with the Texas Rangers
|Texas Rangers – No. 12|
February 3, 1994 |
Maracaibo, Zulia, Venezuela
|Bats: Left||Throws: Right|
|May 8, 2014 for the Texas Rangers|
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||48|
|On-base plus slugging||0.698|
Rougned Roberto Odor (born February 3, 1994) is a Venezuelan professional baseball second baseman for the Texas Rangers of Major League Baseball (MLB). He played for the team's minor league affiliates from 2011 until he was called up to the MLB team in May 2014.
Odor signed with the Texas Rangers as an international free agent in 2011, receiving a $425,000 signing bonus. The Rangers aggressively assigned him to the Spokane Indians of the Class A-Short Season Northwest League. He was the youngest player in the Northwest League, and had a .262 batting average on the season. In 2012, Odor batted .259 with the Hickory Crawdads of the Class A South Atlantic League.
Odor began the 2013 season with the Myrtle Beach Pelicans of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League, where he had a .303 batting average in 99 games played. In August 2013, Odor was promoted to the Frisco RoughRiders of the Class AA Texas League. Odor's emergence with the Rangers allowed them to trade utility infielder Leury Garcia to the Chicago White Sox for all-star right fielder Alex Rios that month. He finished the season with a .305 batting average with 41 doubles, six triples, 11 home runs, and 78 runs batted in in 130 games for Myrtle Beach and Frisco. The Rangers named Odor their minor league player of the year.
The Rangers invited Odor to spring training in 2014. He began the year with Frisco and was promoted to the major leagues on May 8. On May 12, 2014, against Houston Astros pitcher Brad Peacock, Odor hit a single for his first major league hit. He hit his first grand slam on August 27, 2014, in a 12-4 decision against the Seattle Mariners.
- "Diario La Verdad - El zuliano Rougned Odor impacta en Doble A". Laverdad.com. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Sedgman, Cassandra (August 24, 2009). "Guy Edmunds named in AA World All-Star Team". Australian Baseball Federation. Archived from the original on September 8, 2009. Retrieved August 24, 2009.
- By Evan Drellich / MLB.com. "Rangers agree to deal with shortstop Odor | texasrangers.com: News". Texas.rangers.mlb.com. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- SportsDayDFW.com. "Rangers prospect primer: 2B Rougned Odor rising quickly through Texas' system | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - SportsDayDFW". Dallasnews.com. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- "Odor's rise makes Garcia expendable | texasrangers.com: News". Texas.rangers.mlb.com. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Wills, Todd. "Minors: Sardinas, Odor promoted to Frisco - Dallas Texas Rangers Blog - ESPN Dallas". Espn.go.com. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Grant, Evan (February 3, 2014). "Texas Rangers will bring second base prodigy Rougned Odor to big league spring training". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- Jaffe, Jay (May 13, 2014). "Rangers rookie Rougned Odor hits first MLB homer, fields ball with his jersey vs. Astros". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- Wilson, Jeff (27 August 2014). "Odor’s slam lifts Rangers to rout of Seattle". Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- El tipo on Twitter