|Developer(s)||The Roundcube Team|
|Stable release||0.9.5 / October 21, 2013|
|License||GNU General Public License v3 |
Roundcube is a web-based IMAP email client written in PHP. Roundcube's most prominent feature is the pervasive use of Ajax technology to present a more fluid and responsive user interface than that of traditional webmail clients. After about two years of development, the first stable release of Roundcube was announced in early 2008.
Roundcube is used by a number of universities to provide email services to students and staff such as Tata Institute of Social Sciences, University of Pennsylvania, University of Florida, Harvard University, UC Berkeley, University of Utah, University of Oregon, Stevens Institute of Technology, Tilburg University, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, the University of Sussex and the University of Cambridge. In a 2009 interview, two of Roundcube's core developers noted that the largest deployment to that date that they were aware of was at the University of Michigan with 70,013 students. Roundcube is also used in the MyKolab service which supports its further development.
Roundcube Webmail IMAP client was incorporated into epesiBIM (epesi Business Information Manager), a web-based, open source CRM-like application.
In 2013, Iran's Ministry of ICT launched the national email service at mail.post.ir which is using Roundcube.
Roundcube Webmail is designed to run on standard web servers such as Apache, Nginx, Lighttpd, Hiawatha or Cherokee in conjunction with a relational database engine. Supported databases are MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite. The user interface is rendered in XHTML and CSS and is fully customizable with skins.
- Connects to any IMAPv4 server
- Available in over 60 languages
- Full support for MIME and HTML messages
- Compose Richtext/HTML messages with attachments
- Multiple sender identities
- Threaded message listing
- IDNA support
- Full-featured address book based on vCard with group support
- LDAP directory integration for address books
- Find-as-you-type address book integration
- Forwarding messages with attachments
- Built-in caching for fast mailbox access
- Searching messages and contacts
- Spell checking
- Support for external SMTP server
- Support for shared/global folders and IMAP ACLs
- IMAP folder management
- Template system for custom themes
With version 0.3 Roundcube introduced a plug-in API which allows non-standard features to be added without the need to modify the source code. A variety of plug-ins are available from the Plugin Repository.
- "Dev_Members - Roundcube Webmail - Trac". Trac.roundcube.net. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Changeset 5787 - Roundcube Webmail".
- "RoundCube Webmail". http://www.tiss.edu/. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "RoundCube Webmail". seas.upenn.edu. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Welcome to RoundCube Webmail". Spl.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "University of Utah, College of Engineering Webmail".
- "University of Oregon, CIS Department Webmail".
- "MyMail - ITwiki". Stevens.edu. 2011-09-13. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- [dead link]
- "News story : News : ITS : University of Sussex". Sussex.ac.uk. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Computing Service News: New Hermes Webmail". Computing Service, University of Cambridge. 2013-07-03. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Roundcube: the world's coolest Open Source webmail project? - Open For Business - Blogs - Technology Blog and Community from IT Experts - Techworld.com". Blogs.techworld.com. 2009-11-20. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Host Gator Adds RoundCube | WHIR Web Hosting Industry News". Thewhir.com. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "OS X Lion Server - Technical Specifications". Apple. Retrieved 2011-09-19.