Rourkela railway station
|Indian Railway junction Station|
Rourkela junction railway station
|Elevation||219 m (719 ft)|
|Line(s)||Tatanagar-Bilaspur section of Howrah-Nagpur-Mumbai line|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Tracks||Broad gauge1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Baggage check||Not available|
|Zone(s)||South Eastern Railway|
|Formerly||Bengal Nagpur Railway|
Rourkela Railway Station came up with the opening of the Nagpur-Asansol main line of Bengal Nagpur Railway in 1891. It became a station on the crosscountry Howrah-Nagpur-Mumbai line in 1900. Rourkela was connected to Barsuan iron ore mines in 1960.
In earlier days the railway station of Rourkela was within the village of Mahulpali. The railway station gained in importance with the setting up of India’s first public sector steel plant at Rourkela in the nineteen fifties.
It was electrified in 1961-62.
Rourkela Railway Station is amongst the top hundred booking stations of Indian Railway.
8 trains originate at Rourkela and 42 trains(including weeklies and bi-weeklies) pass through it.
It is situated on the Kolkata-Mumbai South Eastern railway line which is a major route connecting the two metros of India. Rourkela is connected to Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Bhubaneswar, Nagpur, Patna, Vishakhapatnam, Jamshedpur, Raipur, Cuttack, Puri, Sambalpur and Jammu & Kashmir.
The 156 km (97 mi) long line connecting Bimlagarh on the Bondamunda-Barsuan branch line and Talcher on the Sambalpur-Talcher-Barang branch line, was sanctioned in 2004-05 and construction is in progress. This line when complete would reduce the distance between Rourkela and Bhubaneswar, the state capital, from 460 km (via Sambalpur) to 300 km.
- "Major Events in the Formation of S.E. Railway". South Eastern Railway. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "Bondamunda Junction". Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- "Steel Authority of India Limited – A Maharatna". Rourkela Steel Plant. SAIL. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "Indian Railways Passenger Reservation Enquiry". Availability in trains for Top 100 Booking Stations of Indian Railways. IRFCA. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Rourkela Railway Station details". indiantrains.org. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "Bimlagarh-Talcher rail link: All decks cleared". welcomeorissa.com. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
Rourkela travel guide from Wikivoyage
|Preceding station||Indian Railways||Following station|
|South Eastern Railway zone|