New Jersey Route 41
|Maintained by NJDOT and Camden County|
|Length:||14.08 mi (22.66 km)|
|Existed:||1927 – present|
|South end:||Route 47 in Deptford Township|
| Route 42 in Deptford Township
Route 168 in Runnemede
US 30 in Barrington
Route 70 / Route 154 in Cherry Hill Township
Route 38 in Maple Shade Township
Route 73 in Maple Shade Township
|North end:||CR 611 in Maple Shade Township|
Route 41 is a state highway in the U.S. state of New Jersey. It runs 14.08 mi (22.66 km) from the five-way intersection of Route 47 (Delsea Drive), County Route 603 (Fairview-Sewell Road/Blackswood-Barnsboro Road), and County Route 630 (Egg Harbor Road), also known as Five Points, in Deptford Township, Gloucester County to the southern terminus of County Route 611 in Maple Shade, Burlington County, just north of the Route 41's interchanges with Route 38 and Route 73. The route is a two- to four-lane suburban road that passes through several communities, including Runnemede, Haddonfield, and Cherry Hill Township. Between the intersection with Route 168 in Runnemede and Route 154 in Cherry Hill Township, Route 41 is maintained by Camden County and is also signed as County Route 573.
Route 41 was legislated in 1927 to run from Route 47 in Fairview, Deptford Township to Route 38 in Moorestown. Originally, the route was intended to bypass Haddonfield, however this bypass was never fully completed and Route 41 was signed along a temporary county-maintained alignment that also became County Route 573. The northern part of this bypass was completed and became Route 154 in 1953. The road has seen many changes including the replacement of the traffic circle with Routes 38 and 73 with an interchange that involved realigning Route 41 around the original circle in 1960 and the replacement of the Ellisburg Circle at Routes 70 and 154 with a signalized intersection in the early 1990s. The temporary alignment of Route 41 along County Route 573 was made permanent in the early 2000s.
Route 41 heads north from the Five Points intersection with Route 47, County Route 603, and County Route 630 in Deptford Township, Gloucester County on a two-lane, undivided road called Hurffville Road. The route intersects County Route 621 (County House Road) and then intersects County Route 534 (Good Intent Road). The route continues north and meets Deptford Center Road, which provides access to the Deptford Mall and Route 55, and a ramp to southbound Route 42. Route 41 comes to an interchange with Route 42, with access provided to and from northbound Route 42. Past Route 42, Route 41 intersects County Route 544 (Clements Bridge Road), with which it forms a concurrency.
Camden and Burlington Counties
The route crosses the Big Timber Creek into Camden County, running along the border of Runnemede and Gloucester Township. County Route 544 veers to the right onto Evesham Road, and Route 41 continues northeast on Clements Bridge Road into Runnemede. At the intersection with Route 168, Route 41 becomes county-maintained and runs concurrent with County Route 573. The two routes cross into Barrington, where they pass over the New Jersey Turnpike. Upon crossing a Conrail railroad line, Route 41 and County Route 573 run along the border of Barrington and Haddon Heights, with Barrington to the southeast and Haddon Heights to the northwest. The two routes pass under Interstate 295 before meeting U.S. Route 30 at a modified traffic circle.
Route 41 and County Route 573 continue north on Highland Avenue and cross into Haddonfield, where the road becomes Chews Landing Road. The two routes meet County Route 551 Spur (Kings Highway), and they bear to the right onto Kings Highway, heading northeast. They pass over New Jersey Transit’s Atlantic City Line and the PATCO Speedline and then intersect County Route 561 (Haddon Avenue) Past CR 561, the road crosses the Cooper River into Cherry Hill Township. Route 41 and County Route 573 make a right turn onto a four-lane divided highway and intersect Route 154 (Brace Road). At this point, County Route 573 ends and Route 41 makes a left turn onto a six-lane divided highway, becoming state-maintained again and forming a concurrency with Route 154.
At the point Route 41 crosses Route 70, Route 154 ends and Route 41 continues to the northeast on Kings Highway, a five-lane road with a center left-turn lane. Route 41 becomes a four-lane divided highway at the crossing of the Pennsauken Creek and enters Maple Shade Township, Burlington County. The route interchanges with Route 38 and with Route 73 a short distance later. It continues to the northeast, where Route 41 ends at the end of state maintenance and Kings Highway continues northeast as County Route 611.
Route 41 was legislated in 1927 to run from Route 47 in Fairview in Deptford Township to Route 38 in Moorestown along its current alignment, except through Haddonfield, which it was to bypass to the east. Also legislated in 1927 was a spur of Route 41, Route S41, which was to run from the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge to Berlin. Later spurs of Route 41 included Route S41A, which was a southern extension of Route S41 from Berlin to Route 42 (now U.S. Route 322) in Folsom proposed in 1938. In the 1953 New Jersey state highway renumbering, Routes S41 and S41A became Route 73 and Route 41 was legislated along a county-maintained temporary route between Route 168 in Runnemede and Route 70 in Cherry Hill Township, signed Route 41 Temporary, when it became the apparent the bypass around Haddonfield would not be fully completed. Only the northernmost section of the bypass between County Route 561 and Route 70 had been built and this eventually became Route 154. The county-maintained section of Route 41 also became known as County Route 573.
Since 1953, many changes have occurred along Route 41. During reconstruction of the traffic circle between Routes 38, 41, and 73 into an interchange by the 1970s, Route 41 was relocated to a new alignment that bypassed the original traffic circle and extended north a short distance on Kings Highway to just south of the County Route 608 (Lenola Road) intersection in Maple Shade Township. The Ellisburg Circle at the intersection of Routes 41, 70, and 154 was reconstructed into an intersection with jughandles and traffic lights by the 1990s. This reconstruction involved realigning Route 41 to form a brief concurrency with Route 154 just south of Route 70. In the early 2000s, the Route 41 interchange with Route 42 in Deptford Township was, along with the County Route 544 interchange with Route 42, reconstructed to ease traffic movements in the area. Signs for Route 41 Temporary and County Route 573 still remain along this stretch of Route 41, which today is officially considered to be a part of mainline Route 41.
|Gloucester||Deptford Township||0.00||0.00||Route 47 (Delsea Drive) – Sewell, Westville||Southern terminus|
|1.80||2.90||CR 534 (Good Intent Road) – Woodbury, Blackwood|
|3.37||5.42||Route 42 (North–South Freeway) – Atlantic City, Camden, Philadelphia||Route 42 exit 12|
|3.86||6.21||CR 544 west (Clements Bridge Road) to Route 42 north – Woodbury, Camden||South end of CR 544 overlap|
|Camden||Runnemede||4.17||6.71||CR 544 east (Evesham Road) – Glendora, Magnolia||North end of CR 544 overlap|
|4.95||7.97||Route 168 (Black Horse Pike) to NJ Tpk. / AC Exwy. – Bellmawr, Camden, Turnersville||South end of CR 573|
|Haddon Heights –
|7.24||11.65||US 30 (White Horse Pike) to I-295||modified traffic circle|
CR 551 Spur south (Kings Highway)
|9.12||14.68||CR 561 (Haddon Avenue)|
|Cherry Hill Township||10.68||17.19||Route 154 south (Brace Road)||North end of CR 573;
South end of Route 154 overlap
|10.83||17.43||Route 70 (Marlton Turnpike)||North end of Route 154 overlap;
former Ellisburg Circle
|Burlington||Maple Shade Township||13.37||21.52||Route 38 to Route 73 south – Camden, Ben Franklin Bridge, Moorestown, Mt. Holly||Interchange|
|13.60||21.89||Route 73 – Marlton, Palmyra, Tacony Bridge||Interchange|
|14.08||22.66||CR 611 north (Kings Highway)||Northern terminus; Continuation beyond Route 41|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "Route 41 straight line diagram". New Jersey Department of Transportation. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- Bricketto, Martin C. (April 21, 2006). "State mapping out fixes to Five Points intersection". Gloucester County Times.
- Google Inc. "overview of New Jersey Route 41". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=route+41+and+route+47+deptford+nj&daddr=E+Clements+Bridge+Rd+to:39.916583,-75.005722+to:Lenola+RD.+%26+Kings+Highway&geocode=%3BFUIkYAIdBpuG-w%3B%3BFUGUYQId8QSI-yHdpdKvB1Y0cQ&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=11&via=1,2&sll=39.866534,-75.037994&sspn=0.247703,0.439453&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- State of New Jersey, Laws of 1927, Chapter 319.
- State of New Jersey. 1927 New Jersey Road Map (Map). http://www.jimmyandsharonwilliams.com/njroads/1920s/images/1927_routes.gif. Retrieved 2008-10-08.
- State of New Jersey, Laws of 1938, Chapter 299.
- 1953 renumbering. New Jersey Department of Highways. Retrieved July 31, 2009.
- Chevron Oil Company (1969). Map of New Jersey (Map). Cartography by H.M. Gousha.
- State Farm Insurance (1983). State Farm Road Atlas (Map). Cartography by Rand McNally.
- Rand McNally (1996). United States-Canada-Mexico Road Atlas (Map).
- Laughlin, Jason (April 21, 2000). "Relief Proposed for Traffic Headache". The Courier-Post.
- Google Inc. "170 Kings Hwy W. Haddonfield, NJ". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=route+41+and+route+47+deptford+nj&daddr=E+Clements+Bridge+Rd+to:39.916583,-75.005722+to:Lenola+RD.+%26+Kings+Highway&geocode=%3BFUIkYAIdBpuG-w%3B%3BFUGUYQId8QSI-yHdpdKvB1Y0cQ&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=11&via=1,2&sll=39.866534,-75.037994&sspn=0.247703,0.439453&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=39.893966,-75.040398&spn=0.00698,0.027466&z=15&layer=c&cbll=39.89398,-75.0404&panoid=t4jG-qgMVZRQ3QJO4o1UAw&cbp=11,93.92764705729105,,0,3.045312500000001. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- Google Inc. "4 Chews Landing Road Haddonfield, NJ". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=route+41+and+route+47+deptford+nj&daddr=E+Clements+Bridge+Rd+to:39.916583,-75.005722+to:Lenola+RD.+%26+Kings+Highway&geocode=%3BFUIkYAIdBpuG-w%3B%3BFUGUYQId8QSI-yHdpdKvB1Y0cQ&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=11&via=1,2&sll=39.866534,-75.037994&sspn=0.247703,0.439453&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=39.893801,-75.040659&panoid=RTHfauRnO_aaVNm-pDtCYQ&cbp=11,261.41202205729115,,1,-11.298437499999996&ll=39.893802,-75.040655&spn=0.00698,0.027466&z=15. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to New Jersey Route 41.|
- New Jersey Roads – History
- New Jersey Roads – Photos
- County Route 573 History
- Speed Limits for Route 41