Route of the Castles of Vinalopó
The Route of the castles of Vinalopó is a historic and cultural route in Spain, connecting some of the castles of the province of Alicante, Valencian Community, most of them based in the Valley of Vinalopó.
The route, which is located in the Valley of Vinalopó, in the inside mountains of the province of Alicante, unveiled a series of castles and forts that protected them during the Middle Ages, when these populations, at some point in its history, where lands of border between the Kingdom of Valencia and the Kingdom of Castile.
The route has with around 75 kilometres through nine different municipalities. It's located in one of the regions of the Valencian Community and Spain with more concentration of castles, which are in various locations such as Villena, Biar, Banyeres de Mariola, Castalla, Sax, Elda, Petrer or Novelda.
The Route of the Castles of Vinalopó the following itinerary, by order:
- Atalaya Castle, in Villena
- Castle of Banyeres, in Banyeres de Mariola
- Castle of Biar, in Biar
- Castle of la Mola, en Novelda
- Castle de Elda, in Elda
- Altamira Palace, in Elche
- Castle of Castalla, in Castalla
- Castle of Sax, in Sax
- Castle of Petrel, in Petrer
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Route of the Castles of the Vinalopó.|
- Route of the Castles of Vinalopó (Spanish)
- The Route at Spain Tourism website (English)
- The Route at "España es Cultura" (English)
- The Route at the website of Valencian Community Tourism (English)
- Guide in pdf of the Route at Costa Blanca Tourism (Spanish)
- Guide in pdf of Valencian Community Tourism (Spanish)
- Map of the Route
- Article about the Route at "Las Provincias" Newspaper (Spanish)
- Guide of the route (Spanish)