Rowlett High School
|Rowlett High School|
|4700 President George Bush Highway
Rowlett, Texas, Dallas County, 75088-5191
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Garland Independent School District|
|Superintendent||Bob Morrison, Ed.D.|
|Principal||Michelle Bounds |
|Vice principal||Shae Creel|
|Vice principal||Adrian Leday|
|Vice principal||Brenda Monk|
|Vice principal||Shane Putman|
|Average class size||24 English
24 foreign language
26 social studies
|Student to teacher ratio||16.3 (2008)|
|Hours in school day||7|
|Rival||Sachse High School|
|Average SAT scores||1019 (2008)|
|Average ACT scores||21 (2006)|
|Website||Rowlett High School|
Rowlett High School is a public secondary school located in Rowlett, Texas (USA). Rowlett High School enrolls students in grades 9-12 and is a part of the Garland Independent School District. The school opened in the fall of 1996 with Marlene Hammerle as principal. It is the second newest high school in the district. In 2005, Rowlett High School was recognized by Newsweek on their "Top 1,000 High Schools In The Nation" list, which is based on Advance Placement scores. Also, Rowlett has won the "Top PTSA" award and the "Highest Attendance" award for their district numerous times.
Garland ISD is a "Free Choice" school district, which allows the parents to choose which school their children want to attend within the district.
The school's course offerings include regular, college preparatory, and career and technology courses. Advanced Placement courses offered at the school include: AP Computer Science, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP French Language, AP German Language, AP Spanish Language, AP Calculus, AP Statistics, AP Chemistry, AP Biology, AP Physics, AP United States History, AP World History, AP European History, AP United States Government and Politics, AP Economics[disambiguation needed], AP Art History and AP Psychology.
Statistics (per 2009)
The attendance rate for students at the school is 96%, equal to the state average of 96%. 23% of the students at Rowlett are economically disadvantaged, 8% enroll in special education, 7% enroll in gifted and talent programs, 40% are enrolled in career and technology programs, and 3% are considered "limited English proficient."
Teachers at the school carry, on average, 10 years of teaching experience and 4% of the teachers on staff are first-year teachers.
Exit Level TAKS Scores (% Passed) Reading - 99%, Math - 97%, Social Studies - 100%, Science - 98%
The Rowlett High School Mighty Eagle Band placed 15th at the University Interscholastic League (UIL) Conference 5A Preliminary State Marching Band Contest on November 7, 2006. The band also competed at the state competition in 2002, 2004, 2010, and 2012.. The Wind Symphony placed fifth overall in the 2009 Honor Band Competition. The Marching band placed 14th in the state marching contest in 2010 and 16th in 2012
The 2011 National Champion Rowlett Silver Rhythm Dancers (Drill Team) were featured in the Super Bowl XLV halftime show with the Black Eyed Peas.
Shows like "Swing This", "Romeo and Juliet", "RENT", and other great productions have given the Rowlett Eagle Theater Company state and national recognition. RHS Theater Company's "Swing This" got the "Best Show" award at the Patty Granville awards, a district theater competition. On December 4, 2008; the drama team of Rowlett High School did a production of the Broadway musical Rent. The faculty said that they were doing an edited version, making it more "PG-13" than "R" rated. However, the students' parents protested the high school production amid concerns that the student players would be involved in same sex activity, and drugs. The controversy was referenced in the Glee episode, The Rocky Horror Glee Show.
The boys' track and field team placed first at the UIL 5A State Track & Field Championship Meet on May 10, 2008. They won a second state title in track and field the next year at the UIL 5A State Track & Field Championship Meet.
- Marquise Goodwin - Wide Receiver for the Buffalo Bills. 1st place long jumper in the 2008 World Junior Championships in Bydgoszcz, Poland. He also competed in the Men's Long Jump at the London Olympics 2012
- Retrieved on 13 May 2008
- Rowlett High School - Staff. Retrieved on 13 May 2008
- 2009 TEA AEIS Campus Report. Retrieved on 8 August 2010.
- Rowlett High School - Bell Schedule. Retrieved on 5 February 2008
- Rowlett High School - Yearbook & Newspaper. Retrieved on 5 February 2008.
- Rowlett High School - About Us. Retrieved on 5 February 2008
- "2009 Accountability Rating System". Texas Education Agency.
- Garland ISD Choice of School. Retrieved on 17 January 2008
- 2006 UIL State Marching Band Contest Results[dead link]. Retrieved on 8 October 2008
- Protest over high school 'Rent' production in Rowlett - WFAA-TV Video On-Demand (released December 4, 2008)
- GISD - Rowlett Boys Earn GISD’s First-ever Track and Field State Title. Retrieved on 13 May 2008
- UIL State Track & Field Meet 5/9/2008 - 5/10/2008 - Team Result[dead link]. Retrieved on 13 May 2008