Rowlett High School
|This article is outdated. (October 2014)|
|Rowlett High School|
|4700 President George Bush Highway
Rowlett, Texas, 75088-5191
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Garland Independent School District|
|• Grade 9||698|
|• Grade 10||668|
|• Grade 11||622|
|• Grade 12||633|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.3 (2008)|
|Athletics conference||UIL 5A|
|Rival||Sachse High School|
|Average SAT scores||1019 (2008)|
|Average ACT scores||21 (2006)|
|Website||Rowlett High School|
Rowlett High School is a public secondary school located in Rowlett, Texas (USA). Rowlett High School enrolls students in grades 9-12 and is a part of the Garland Independent School District. The school opened in the fall of 1996 with Marlene Hammerle as principal. It is the second newest high school in the district. In 2005, Rowlett High School was recognized by Newsweek on their "Top 1,000 High Schools In The Nation" list, which is based on Advance Placement scores. Also, Rowlett has won the "Top PTSA" award and the "Highest Attendance" award for their district numerous times.
Garland ISD is a "Free Choice" school district, which allows the parents to choose which school their children want to attend within the district.
The school's course offerings include regular, college preparatory, and career and technology courses. Advanced Placement courses offered at the school include: AP Computer Science, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP French Language, AP German Language, AP Spanish Language, AP Calculus, AP Statistics, AP Chemistry, AP Biology, AP Physics, AP United States History, AP World History, AP European History, AP United States Government and Politics, AP Economics,[disambiguation needed] AP Art History and AP Psychology.
Statistics (per 2009)
The attendance rate for students at the school is 96%, equal to the state average of 96%. 23% of the students at Rowlett are economically disadvantaged, 8% enroll in special education, 7% enroll in gifted and talent programs, 40% are enrolled in career and technology programs, and 3% are considered "limited English proficient."
Teachers at the school carry, on average, 10 years of teaching experience and 4% of the teachers on staff are first-year teachers.
Exit Level TAKS Scores (% Passed) Reading - 99%, Math - 97%, Social Studies - 100%, Science - 98%
The sports Rowlett offers are baseball, basketball, bowling, cross country, football, golf, marching band, soccer, softball, tennis, track, and volleyball. The boys' track and field team placed first at the UIL 5A State Track & Field Championship Meet on May 10, 2008. They won a second state title in track and field the next year at the UIL 5A State Track & Field Championship Meet. Rowlett High School resides in the UIL 5A Classification for the 2013-2014 school year, but will be reclassified under the UIL 6A Region 2 District 11 Classification for the 2014-2015 school year.
- Marquise Goodwin - Wide Receiver for the Buffalo Bills. 1st place long jumper in the 2008 World Junior Championships in Bydgoszcz, Poland. He also competed in the Men's Long Jump at the London Olympics 2012
- Retrieved on 13 May 2008
- Rowlett High School - Staff. Retrieved on 13 May 2008
- Rowlett High School - Yearbook & Newspaper. Retrieved on 5 February 2008.
- 2009 TEA AEIS Campus Report. Retrieved on 8 August 2010.
- Rowlett High School - About Us. Retrieved on 5 February 2008
- "2009 Accountability Rating System". Texas Education Agency.
- Garland ISD Choice of School. Retrieved on 17 January 2008
- GISD - Rowlett Boys Earn GISD’s First-ever Track and Field State Title. Retrieved on 13 May 2008
- UIL State Track & Field Meet 5/9/2008 - 5/10/2008 - Team Result[dead link]. Retrieved on 13 May 2008