|Word/Name||England, Normandy, Scotland|
|Related names||Rex, King, Kingsley, Kingston, Ry, Rai, Ray, Raymie, Raymond, Glenroy, Delroy, Elroy, Leroy, Royce, Royal|
|Look up Roy in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Roy may refer to:
Roy is an English, Scottish Gaelic and French name of Norman origin. The derivation is from the word rey or roi, meaning a king or chief, and in medieval times was used as a nickname either for one who behaved in a regal fashion, or who had earned the title in some contest of skill. This surname originated from the Normans, a name meaning "Norseman", who were the descendants of Vikings. It also appears in Scottish Gaelic, from the word ruadh, meaning red.
Roy is also an Indian surname, a variant of the name "Rai".
People with the surname include:
- Ajoy Roy, Bangladeshi physicist and human rights activist
- Anuradha Roy, Indian Bengali novelist and journalist
- Aruna Roy, Indian Tamil social activist
- Arundhati Roy, Indian Keralite novelist and peace activist
- Bidhan Chandra Roy, Indian Bengali politician
- Bikash Roy, Indian Bengali actor
- Bimal Roy, Indian Bengali film director
- Brandon Roy, American basketball player
- Bryan Roy, Dutch football (soccer) player and current manager
- Bunker Roy, Indian Bengali social activist
- Claude Roy (politician), Canadian politician
- Debashree Roy, Indian Bengali actress
- Deep Roy, British actor
- Derek Roy, Canadian ice hockey player
- Dolon Roy, Indian Bengali actress
- Drew Roy, American actor
- Eric Roy, New Zealand politician
- Éric Roy, French footballer
- Fabien Roy, Canadian politician
- Falguni Roy, Indian Bengali poet
- Gabrielle Roy, Canadian author
- Indra Lal Roy, Indian Bengali flying ace
- Jahor Roy, Indian Bengali actor and comedian
- James Roy, Australian author
- Jeffrey Roy, American fund manager
- Jean Sebastien Roy, Canadian motocross rider
- Jean-Yves Roy, Canadian politician
- Juthika Roy, Indian Bengali singer
- Kalidas Roy, Indian Bengali poet
- Kanu Roy, Indian Bengali film actor, and music composer
- Leela Roy, Indian Bengali independence activist and social reformer
- Leo "Kid" Roy (1904-1955), American/Canadian boxer of the 1920s and '30s
- M. N. Roy, Indian Bengali philosopher and revolutionary
- Mathieu Roy, Canadian ice hockey player
- Nirupa Roy, Indian Gujarati actress
- Patrick Roy, Canadian ice hockey player
- Prannoy Roy, Indian Bengali media personality
- Prasanna Kumar Roy, Indian Bengali educationist
- Ram Mohan Roy Indian Bengali religious, social and educational reformer
- Rahul Roy, Indian film actor
- Sarat Chandra Roy, Indian Bengali anthropologist
- Shahzad Roy, Pakistani pop singer, social worker
- Shatabdi Roy, Indian Bengali actress
- Subrata Roy, Indian Bengali businessman
- Subimal Chandra Roy, Indian Bengali jurist
- Subodh Roy, Indian Bengali independence activist
- Sylvie Roy, Canadian politician
- Tarapada Roy, Indian Bengali author
- William Roy, Scottish surveyor
Roy is a common male given name. Notable people with the given name include:
- Roy Acuff, American musician
- Roy Andrews, naturalist and explorer
- Roy Blount, Jr., writer and humorist
- Roy Blunt, United States congressman representing Missouri's 17th District
- Roy Campanella, Baseball Hall of Fame catcher
- Roy Clark, country music musician, best known for his work on the television program Hee Haw
- Roy Christian, New Zealand rugby league footballer
- Roy Cohn, lawyer best known as Senator Joseph McCarthy's counsel from 1953 to 1954
- Roy E. Disney (1930–2009), American businessman
- Roy O. Disney (1893–1971), American businessman
- Roy Drusky, country music singer
- Roy Face, often referred to as "Elroy Face", baseball all-star relief pitcher throughout the 1950s and 1960s
- Roy Firestone, sports talk show host
- Roy Foster, American baseball player
- Roy M. Goodman, former New York state senator
- Roy Halladay, baseball pitcher
- Roy Halston Frowick (1932–1990), better known as Halston, clothing designer
- Roy Hamilton, popular R&B singer of the 1950s and 1960s
- Roy Hargrove, American jazz musician
- Roy Harris, American classical music composer
- Roy Hartsfield, baseman player in early 1950s and first manager of the expansion Toronto Blue Jays in 1977
- Roy Hattersley, British Labour politician
- Roy Head, R&B and country music singer, best known for 1965 hit "Treat Her Right"
- Roy Hibbert, basketball player
- Roy Hodgson, English former football (soccer) player and current manager
- Roy Horn, half of the Las Vegas show team Siegfried & Roy
- Roy Howell, baseball player
- Roy J. Glauber (born 1925), American physicist and 2005 Nobel prize winner
- Roy Lee Jackson, baseball pitcher in the 1970s and 1980s
- Roy Johnson (pitcher), baseball pitcher, manager and longtime coach
- Roy Jones, Jr., professional boxer
- Roy Keane, Irish former football (soccer) player and current manager
- Roy Khan, former singer of power metal band Kamelot
- Roy Kinnear (1934-1988), English actor
- Roy Lichtenstein, American pop artist
- Roy Makaay, Dutch football (soccer) player and current manager
- Roy Masters (commentator), American talk radio personality, podcaster and spiritual counselor
- Roy McMillan, American baseball player
- Roy Orbison, pioneer of rock and roll
- Roy Pinney, herpetologist, professional photographer, writer, spelunker, pilot and war correspondent
- Roy Rogers (born Leonard Schley), singing movie cowboy
- Roy Sanders, American educator and Louisiana state legislator
- Roy Scheider, film actor
- Roy Schwitters, American physicist
- Roy Shepherd, British ice hockey player
- Roy Shepherd (pianist), Australian pianist and teacher
- Roy Sievers, American baseball player
- Roy Smalley, Jr., American baseball player, father of Roy Smalley III
- Roy Smalley III, American baseball player, son of Roy Smalley, Jr.
- Roy Staiger, baseball player in the late 1970s
- Roy Thomas (pitcher), baseball pitcher from the 1970s through the 1980s
- Roy Underhill, host of the PBS series The Woodwright's Shop
- Roy White, all star baseball player
- Roy Williamson, Scottish folk singer
- Roy Wilkins, prominent civil rights activist
- Roy Mustang is a fictional character from the Fullmetal Alchemist manga series.
- Roy (Peanuts), a minor character from the Peanuts comic strip.
- Roy Rooster, a fictional character on the comic strip US Acres.
- Roy (Fire Emblem), a character from the game Fire Emblem: Fūin no Tsurugi (Sword of Seals).
- Roy DeSoto, a character from the TV series Emergency!.
- Roy Greenhilt, a character from the webcomic Order of the Stick.
- Roy Hobbs, protagonist in Bernard Malamud novel The Natural.
- Roy Batty, the leader of the renegade replicants in the film Blade Runner.
- Roy O'Brien, eponymous animated protagonist of Roy.
- Roy Trenneman, a character from the British sitcom The IT Crowd.
- Roy, a character from Little Britain.
- Roy Cropper, a character from the British soap opera Coronation Street.
- Roy Earle, a character from the game L.A. Noire.
- Roy Harper (comics), a superhero in the DC Comics universe.
- Discover the meaning and history behind your last name, Ancestry.com, retrieved 25 November 2013 which cited: Dictionary of American Family Names, Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-508137-4 for the surname "Roy".
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name or the same family name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|