2000 Australian Paralympic Team portrait of Daniell
11 April 1965 |
Roy Daniell (born 11 April 1965) is an Australian runner with a vision impairment, who has won two medals at three Paralympics.
Daniell was born on 11 April 1965 in the Victorian town of Seymour and lives in Canberra. He has a genetic condition that causes peripheral vision. Everything in his direct line of sight is permanently blocked by a fuzzy test pattern. He began losing his sight at the age of ten and by the age of fifteen, he effectively could not read. He attended Canberra Grammar School where he was a competitive sprinter and he participated in rowing at national schoolboy competitions.
Daniell did not think of himself as disabled until he heard that Sydney was hosting the Paralympics; he began training in 1997 after his eye doctor confirmed that he would be able to qualify for the games. He was originally a triathlete but switched to running after colliding with parked cars and swimming poorly. He won a bronze medal at the 2000 Sydney Games in the Men's Marathon T13 event. He had an Australian Institute of Sport athletics scholarship from 2001 to 2002. At the 2004 Athens Games he won a silver medal in the men's marathon T13 event. In Sydney and Athens he ran without a race guide. He finished 13th in the men's marathon T12 at the 2008 Beijing Games with race guides Julien Wicks and Dennis Fitzgerald. He retired from competition after the 2008 games to spend more time with his family.
- "Roy the marathon man is under “new management". Australian Paralympic Committee Website. Australian Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Athlete's Profile". Australian Paralympic Committee. Archived from the original on 5 December 2000. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "No intervention required, all Daniell needs is luck as he sets sights on gold". Asia Africa Intelligence Wire/The Canberra Times. 16 September 2004.
- "Roy Daniell Athlete Profile". Australian Paralympic Committee Website. Australian Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- Steele, Selina (30 October 2000). "Roy kicks in with bronze in marathon". The Courier-Mail. p. 12.
- "Athlete Search Results". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- Excellence : the Australian Institute of Sport. Canberra: Australian Sports Commission. 2002. ISBN 1-74013-060-X.
- "Wicks is bound for Beijing". South Coast Register. 30 July 2008. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- Hand, Jenna (6 July 2008). "Olympic guide to gold". The Canberra Times. p. 23.
- Moloney, John-Paul (12 April 2008). "Sons inspire marathon runner to a third Games". The Canberra Times. p. 6.
- McGrath, Olivia (16 September 2008). "Roy Daniell: Looking to sign off with gold". ABC News. Retrieved 4 June 2012.