Sir Royston Miles "Roy" Goode CBE QC (born April 6, 1933) is an academic commercial lawyer in the United Kingdom. He founded the Centre for Commercial Law Studies at Queen Mary, University of London. He was awarded the OBE in 1972 followed by the CBE in 1994 before being knighted for services to academic law in 2000.
He is a fellow of St John's College, Oxford. He was formerly the Norton Rose Professor of English law at Oxford University, and is now an Emeritus Professor of Law at the University. He was made an honorary Bencher of the Inner Temple in 1988. He was presented with an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree by The College of Law in November 2011.
Goode spent 17 years in private practice as a solicitor before turning to academia. He was educated at Highgate School in North London; he never actually attended university as a student, but qualified as a solicitor through work experience.
Goode was also a member of the Crowther Committee on Consumer Credit, the Monopolies and Mergers Commission and the DTI Advisory Committee on Arbitration. He chaired the Pension Law Review Committee, which was set up following the Maxwell scandal, and which led to a report on Pension Law Reform and the Pensions Act 1995. He was previously chairman of the executive committee of JUSTICE, the all-party human rights and law reform organisation, and a member of the Governing Council of UNIDROIT. He is also known for his writings on documentary letters of credit and demand guarantees; he has called these financial instruments "abstract payment undertakings". This term, as most academic writers would agree, is Roy Goode's.
- — (2009). Commercial Law. Fully revised by Ewan McKendrick. (4th ed.). Butterworths. ISBN 978-1-40573447-9.
- Consumer Credit Law and Practice (General Editor)
- Consumer Credit Reports (General Editor)
- — (2011). Stevens, Robert, ed. Principles of Corporate Insolvency Law (4th ed.). Thomson Sweet & Maxwell. ISBN 978-0-42196610-9.
- — (2013). Gullifer, Louise, ed. Goode on Legal Problems of Credit and Security (5th ed.). Thomson Sweet & Maxwell. ISBN 978-0-41404802-7.
- Payment Obligations in Commercial and Financial Transactions
- Highgate School Register 7th Edn 1833-1988, Ed. Patrick Hughes & Ian F Davies 1989
|This United Kingdom law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|