Roy Harter in his home studio, 2003
|Birth name||Roy Gunther Harter|
March 6, 1973 |
Sunnyside, Queens, New York
|Genres||Country, Rock, Dub, Experimental|
|Occupation(s)||Sound Designer, Musician, Radio Personality|
|Instruments||Keyboards, Accordion, Theremin, Guitar|
Roy Harter (born March 6, 1973) is a New York Emmy award-winning, composer, sound designer and audio mixer, best known for his work in television and film. He is also a multi-instrumentalist for various performing and recording artists. Harter is the founder and owner of the post-production facility SkinnyMan, located in Times-Square, New York.
In 1998 Harter became co-owner of the audio division of the television post-production facility Editional Effects, (EENYC) located in Times Square, New York City. He set up and ran their audio division.
In 2003 Harter set up his current television and film post-production facility SkinnyMan, located in Times Square, New York City. He has composed music, mixed television commercials, promos, and shows for many major television networks. SkinnyMan also currently serves as a home base and recording studio for all of Harter's musical projects.
Using various musicians, including members of Paul Simon's band and Stiff Little Fingers, Roy Harter composed all the promotional music for the children's television network Noggin. The "Alley Pond Park Ensemble" he created for the project was given strict rules that only allowed the musicians to perform using common household items, such as pots and pans.
On October 21, 2005 Harter gave a televised alpine bell performance in Times Square, New York City. The event was sponsored by Verizon and aired on Nickelodeon. The performance was also simulcast on the Viacom Jumbo-Tron Screen in Times Square, New York.
During the summers, Harter performs at various European music festivals. He has performed on the main stage at the 2006 Beautiful Days Festival in Devon, UK, as part of Dan Donnelly's live band, Sonovagun. In 2008 he performed with Donnelly and Sonovagun on the Leftfield Stage at Glastonbury Festival. In 2010 and 2011 he performed at Beautiful Days Festival with The Fabulous Good Time Party Boys, as well as Donnelly. In 2013 he performed at Beautiful Days Festival with Goldblade, Dan Donnelly, and The Fabulous Good Time Party Boys.
From January 2007 to 2010, Harter hosted a weekly radio show entitled "Roy Harter's Outlaw Hour", airing every Sunday night on UK based, Tinternet Radio. The show was primarily a music program showcasing outlaw country and rebellious musical acts, both classic and modern.
Since 2011, Harter has become a regular character on "The Davey Mac Sports Program", hosted by Dave McDonald. He plays the musical sidekick character of "Roy Shaffer", often interrupting and accompanying the host with humorous musical stings. The live show can be heard on SiriusXM every Saturday night at 7-10 PM (EST) on the Opie Radio channel.
Harter is involved with The Beatles Complete On Ukulele project. This worldwide musical project, founded by David Barratt, features a re-recorded version of an original Beatles song, with a ukelele in every arrangement. Harter has produced tracks with radio personality Sherwin Sleeves, as well as bestselling author Deepak Chopra for the project.
- 2003: Tide – Composer
- 2005: The Mad One – Actor
- 2007: Area X - Composer
- 2007: Astoria Park – Sound Design / Mix
- 2007: The Slackers - Sound Design / Mix
- 2008: Act As If - Sound Design / Mix
- 2010: Go-Go - Composer / Sound Design / Mix
- 2010: After the Catch (Season 4) - Sound Design / Mix
- 2012: Nickelodeon's Figure It Out - Composer
As Roy Harter
As Audio Engineer or Producer
- 2001: Liz Skillman - "In the Middle"
- 2002: Liz Skillman - "Wayphoria"
- 2000: Abbey of Regina Laudis - "Women in Chant"
- 2000: Bed Devils - "Le Caprice"
- 1999: Dequincy’s Dream - "Solfege"
- 1998: Dequincy’s Dream - "Jeepers Mister, Thanks for the Sweet Deal"
With Dan Donnelly & Sonovagun
- 2006: Bootleg
- 2006: The Beach E.P.
- 2007: Yearning a Living
- 2008: Live in NYC
- 2010: Running E.P.
- 2011: Country and Northern
- "Editional Effects Study For Gene Simmons, Tommy Lee Mixes". Mix: Professional Audio & Music Production. 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
With only a month to take five Tommy Lee and six Rock School spots from concept to delivery, Henke turned to EENYC audio division co-owner and senior engineer Roy Harter. “It was fun working on projects featuring the bands I grew up with,” says Hartner.
- "Editional Effects Gets In The Spirit With ?Cheerleader Nation". Digital Post Production. March 9, 2006. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
Along with Senior Engineer/Audio Division Co-Owner Roy Harter, Barry created the complete sound design for the campaign?from V.O. records and full mixes to foley work.
- Sarah Benzuly. "Sometimes a Job Is Child's Play". Mix: Professional Audio & Music Production. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
Hothead engineer Roy Harter recently composed and produced all of the original music for the redesign of Noggin, a children's network.
- "Roy Harter". Internet Movie Database (IMDb). 2011-06-13. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
Sound Department (3 titles) ... Composer (3 titles)
- Mark Kirby (2001-04-30). "Liz Skillman and Joaquim - In the Middle". Music Dish. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
And "Illuminate" features open, ethereal, guitar chords, harmonium by Roy Harter, ...
- "Top 10 Kid Spots – Runners-up". kidscreen. October 1, 2002. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
Music Production Company: Skinnyman Productions -- Composer: Roy Harter -- Recording Studio: Hot Head
- "All New Music Helps Liven Up Noggin The N". Videography. October 34, 2004. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
Music Production Company: Skinnyman music composer -- Composer: Roy Harter -- Recording Studio: Editional EffectsCheck date values in:
- "US Soldiers' Music Is Soundtrack for Editional Effects". Design In Motion. September 30, 200. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
VH1 freelance promo producer Adrian Henke tapped Editional Effects’ Sr. Audio Engineer and Co-owner of the audio division, Roy Harter...Check date values in:
- "Editional Effects Opens Audio Div.". Pro Sound News. May 1, 2004. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
new audio division set up in partnership with engineer and composer, Roy Harter.
- "Lover of Beauty and Coffee Breath". MTV. May 1, 1998. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
Album title by Roy Harter
- "PS I Love You". Website. March 1, 2013. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
Produced sadistically by Mr. Roy Harter at SkinnyMan
- "Skinnyman bio". Website. March 1, 2013. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
history of studio