Roy J. Bostock
Roy J. Bostock is an American businessman who served as chairman of Yahoo! Inc. from January 2008 to May 2012. He currently serves on the boards of directors of Morgan Stanley and Delta Air Lines. From 2000 to 2001 he served as chairman of the advertising firm BCom3 Group, Inc. He is the chairman of the Partnership for a Drug-Free America and a former trustee of Duke University.
Bostock is a 1962 Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Duke, where he was an English Literature major and a member of the varsity baseball and football teams. Bostock also received an MBA from Harvard Business School.
Bostock joined Benton & Bowles in 1964. Following the merger and subsequent creation of D'Arcy Masius Benton & Bowles in 1985, he served as President of the combined company. From 1990 to 1996, he served as Chairman and CEO of the company. He also served as Chairman and CEO of the McManus Group from 1996 to 2000 and Chairman of B/Com3 from 2000 to 2002.
On 6 September 2011 Bostock fired Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz by telephone after stormy weather prevented their scheduled face-to-face meeting. Third Point LLC, which has a 5.2% in Yahoo, called for Bostock's resignation along with the rest of the board for a number of reasons.
Bostock and his wife, Merilee, have donated more than $13 million to Duke University, and are the namesakes of Duke's Bostock Library. These donations include $2 million to Duke Libraries and $5 million to Duke Athletics. He has three children.
- "Yahoo - Yahoo! Names Fred Amoroso Chairman and Appoints Ross Levinsohn Interim CEO". Investor.yahoo.net. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Carmody, Tim (2012-02-07). "Yahoo Chair Roy Bostock, 3 Directors Step Down in 'Soft eBay Takeover' | Wired Business". Wired.com. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Partnership for Public Service. Ourpublicservice.org. Retrieved on 30 September 2011.
- Roy Bostock: Executive Profile & Biography – BusinessWeek. Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved on 30 September 2011.
- "Roy Bostock - Forbes". People.forbes.com. 2012-04-18. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Yahoo Chairman Roy Bostock Risks Losing Own Job After Ousting Carol Bartz, John Helyar and Brian Womack, Bloomberg, 8 September 2011
- The Bostock Library Archived 18 December 2010 at WebCite
- "Bostock Gift Puts Duke Libraries Over Campaign Goal | Duke Today". Today.duke.edu. 2003-12-06. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "Roy, Merilee Bostock Donate $5 Million to Athletics - Duke University Blue Devils | Official Athletics Site". GoDuke.com. Retrieved 2013-12-01.