Royal Commonwealth Pool
|Royal Commonwealth Pool|
Royal Commonwealth Pool West side
Shown within Scotland
|Alternative names||Commonwealth Pool, the RCP, or the Commie|
|Client||Corporation of the City of Edinburgh Architects|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||John Richards of RMJM|
The Royal Commonwealth Pool is a category-A-listed building in Edinburgh that houses one of Scotland's main swimming pools. It is usually referred to simply as the Commonwealth Pool and known colloquially as the "Commie".
The pool was closed for a major refurbishment between August 2009 and March 2012.
Architectural award nominations
It was also nominated in 2002 by the Architecture Heritage Society of Scotland as one of the most significant modern contributions to Scottish heritage. These sentiments were echoed in Prospect 100 best modern Scottish buildings, published in 2005.
S&P Architects were the architects and lead consultants for the 2012 refurbishment and were awarded the Scottish Design Award in 2012 for the best reuse of a listed building.
In June 2009, the pool was closed to the public to begin refurbishment. The project,led by Frank and Charlie of S&P Architects began in August 2009, costing approximately £37 million, and included new 25 metres (82 ft) diving and teaching pools as well as improvements to the changing rooms, café, reception, and the dive gym. It was originally expected to be finished by mid-2011 but did not reopen until March 2012.
- Gyford, Sue (24 June 2009). "End of an era as Commonwealth Pool gets ready for refurbishment". Edinburgh Evening News. Archived from the original on 17 November 2010. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- Willis, Peter; Ignatowicz, Jon (1977). New Architecture in Scotland. Lund Humphries. p. 76.
- McWhirter, Norris; McFarlan, Donald (1992). The Guinness Book of Records 1992 (38 ed.). Middlesex, England: Guinness World Records. p. 298. ISBN 0-85112-378-3.
- "Listed Building Report". Historic Scotland. Archived from the original on 17 November 2010. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- Glendinning, Miles (1997). Rebuilding Scotland: The Postwar Vision, 1945-1975. DoCoMoMo. p. 29.
- Black, Edward (7 October 2002). "Hill House one of best modern buildings". The Scotsman. AccessMyLibrary. Retrieved 17 November 2010. (registration required)
- Ferguson, Brian (18 December 2007). "Stadium sale will fund refit for Commonwealth pool". The Scotsman. Archived from the original on 17 November 2010. Retrieved 17 November 2010.
- "Royal Commonwealth Pool refurbishment: update". City of Edinburgh Council. 26 February 2010. Archived from the original on 17 November 2010. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- "T&A Pool resources". Urban Realm. 27 February 2009. Archived from the original on 17 November 2010. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- Fraser, Gemma (19 April 2011). "Commie to reopen next spring . . but it will look the same sss". The Scotsman. Retrieved 29 April 2011.
- (20 March 2012) Commonwealth Pool in Edinburgh officially reopens BBC News, Retrieved 28 February 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Royal Commonwealth Pool.|