Royal Governor of Chile
|History of Chile|
The Royal Governor of Chile ruled over the Spanish colonial administrative district known as the Kingdom of Chile. This district was also called the Captaincy General of Chile, and as a result the Royal Governor also held the title of a Captain General. There were 66 such governors or captains during the Spanish conquest and the later periods of Spanish-centered colonialism.
Governors of the Kingdom of Chile
Governors and Captain-Generals of Chile
|Picture||Name||Entered Office||Exited Office||Notes||Appointed by|
|Agustín de Jáuregui y Aldecoa||March 1772||July 1780||Charles III|
|Tomás Álvarez de Acevedo Ordaz||July 1780||December 1780|
|Ambrosio de Benavides||December 1780||April 1787|
|Tomás Álvarez de Acevedo Ordaz||April 1787||May 1788|
Appointed by Charles IV
- Ambrosio O'Higgins, Marquis of Osorno: (May 1788 - May 1796)
- José de Rezabal y Ugarte: (May 1796 - September 1796)
- Gabriel de Avilés, 2nd Marquis of Avilés: (18 September 1796 - 21 January 1799)
- Joaquín del Pino Sánchez de Rojas: (January 1799 - April 1801)
- José de Santiago Concha Jiménez Lobatón: (April 1801 - December 1801)
- Francisco Tadeo Diez de Medina Vidanges: (December 1801 - January 1802)
- Luis Muñoz de Guzmán: (January 1802 - February 1808)
Appointed by Ferdinand VII
- Juan Rodríguez Ballesteros: (February 1808 - April 1808)
- Francisco Antonio García Carrasco Díaz: (April 1808 - July 1810)
- Mateo de Toro Zambrano, 1st Count of la Conquista: (July 1810 - September 1810)
- Period of the Reconquista Española: Governors and Captain-Generals (in opposition)
- José Antonio Pareja: (12 December 1812 - 21 May 1813)
- Juan Francisco Sánchez: (21 May 1813 - 1 January 1814)
- Gabino Gaínza y Fernández de Medrano: (1 January 1814 - 19 July 1814)
- Mariano Osorio: (19 July 1814 - 26 December 1815)
- Francisco Marcó del Pont Ángel Díaz y Méndez: (26 December 1815 - 12 February 1817)
- Mariano Osorio: (4 January 1818 - 5 April 1818)
- Barros Arana, Diego (1884–1902). Historia Jeneral de Chile (in Spanish). I-XVI. Santiago, Chile: Rafael Jover.
- Carvallo y Goyeneche, Vicente (1875). José Toribio Medina, Diego Barros Arana, Francisco Solano Asta Buruaga y Cienfuegos, Miguel Luis Amunátegui, Luis Montt, ed. Descripcion Histórico-Geográfica del Reino de Chile. Coleccíon de historiadores de Chile y documentos relativos a la historia nacional Vol. 9 (in Spanish) II. Santiago, Chile: Imprenta del Ferrocarril.
- Medina, José Toribio (1906). Diccionario Biográfico Colonial de Chile (in Spanish). Santiago, Chile: Imprenta Elziviriana. pp. 331–332.