Royal Historical Society
The Royal Historical Society began and continued for many years akin to a gentlemen's club. It now exists to promote historical research worldwide, representing historians engaged in professional research and presenting history in the public domain.
The society provides a varied programme of lectures and one-day and two-day conferences covering various kinds of historical issues. It convenes in London and from time to time elsewhere throughout the United Kingdom.
The society's membership comprises honorary vice-presidents (management), fellows (entitled to use FRHistS or formerly F.R.Hist.Soc. as post-noms), corresponding fellows, members and associates. Its archives at Senate House include many records of international as well as British history. The society encourages, promotes and sponsors (by way of grants) historical research, academic or otherwise and publishes via its monographic series Studies in History, its annual Transactions, or the Camden Series of editions and translations of texts, as well as digitally, such as the Bibliography of British and Irish History.
The society, in consultation with the Historical Association and with the History at Universities Defence Group, liaises with HM Government and the British Library as well as the National Archives.
- 2012–present Peter Mandler
- 2009–2012 Colin D. H. Jones
- 2005-2008 Martin Daunton
- 2001-2005 Dame Janet Nelson
- 1997-2001 Peter Marshall
- 1993-1997 Sir Rees Davies
- 1989-1993 Michael Thompson
- 1985-1989 Gerald Aylmer
- 1981-1985 Sir James Clarke Holt
- 1977-1981 Sir John Habakkuk
- 1973-1977 Sir Geoffrey Elton
- 1969-1973 Sir Richard Southern
- 1965-1969 Robin Humphreys
- 1961-1965 Sir Goronwy Edwards
- 1957-1961 Dom David Knowles
- 1953-1957 Hale Bellot
- 1949-1953 Theodore Plucknett
- 1946-1949 Robert William Seton-Watson
- 1937-1945 Sir Frank Stenton
- 1933-1937 Sir Frederick Powicke
- 1929-1933 Sir Richard Lodge
- 1925-1929 Frederick Tout
- 1921-1925 The Hon. Sir John Fortescue
- 1917-1921 Sir Charles Oman
- 1913-1917 Sir Charles Firth
- 1909-1913 The Ven. William Cunningham
- 1905-1909 The Revd William Hunt
- 1901-1905 Sir George Prothero
- 1899-1901 Sir Adolphus Ward
- 1891-1899 Sir Mountstuart Grant Duff
- 1878-1891 Henry Bruce, 1st Baron Aberdare
- 1873-1878 Lord John Russell, later 1st Earl Russell
- 1871-1872 George Grote
- Taylor Milne, Alexander (1968). A Centenary Guide to the Publications of the Royal Historical Society 1868–1968, and of the former Camden Society 1838–1897. Royal Historical Society Guides and Handbooks. London: Royal Historical Society.
- Camden Society (founded 1838, merged with the RHistS in 1897)
- Fellows of the Royal Historical Society