Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Edinburgh
|This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (September 2012)|
The Royal Hospital for Sick Children is a hospital in Edinburgh, Scotland, specialising in paediatric healthcare. It is commonly referred to simply as the Sick Kids. The hospital provides care for children from birth to around 13 years of age, including a specialist Accident and Emergency facility. The hospital is located on Sciennes Road in the Sciennes area of Edinburgh's South Side.
The hospital opened in 1860, and received a royal charter in 1863, when it moved to the purpose-built Meadowside House. In 1890 an outbreak of typhoid forced a temporary removal to Morningside, and Meadowside House was subsequently sold. Plans for a new hospital were put in hand, to designs by George Washington Browne. The Sciennes Road building was opened on 31 October 1895 by Princess Beatrice. The hospital celebrated its 150th birthday in 2010.
In 2005, NHS Lothian decided to develop plans to move the Sick Kids from its present site to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh at Little France on the south-east edge of the city. A business case for the project was approved by the Scottish Government in January 2012, with the new facility due to open in 2017.
In 2011, 6-year old Jack Henderson made the headlines by raising money for the hospital that cared for his brother, in exchange for drawings he had created. He originally planned to raise £100, but quickly raised £10,000. His fundraising total now[when?] exceeds £46,000 and continues to grow. A book, Jack Draws Anything, was published in October 2011.
- "The history of the Royal Hospital for Sick Children". NHS Lothian.
- "Royal Hospital for Sick Children: listed building report". Historic Scotland.
- "Outline Business Case - Re-provision of RHSC and DCN at Little France". NHS Lothian.
- "Jack Henderson hits £10,000 for Sick Kids in Edinburgh". BBC News (Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland). 4 April 2011. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- Sulieman, Cara (23 May 2011). "Jack Draws Anything: Six-year-old behind the website signs book deal". STV. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- Royal Hospital for Sick Children, NHS Lothian web site