Royal Northern Hospital
|Royal Northern Hospital|
|Location||London, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The Royal Northern Hospital was a general hospital on Holloway Road, London N7, near Tollington Way. It had inpatient, outpatient, accident and emergency facilities and was also a centre for postgraduate education. Originally located at King's Cross, it began as an independent and voluntary hospital. The hospital moved to Holloway Road in 1888 and received a Royal Charter in 1921. The casualty department was built using public subscription. The foundations to the new casualty department was laid by Lady Patricia Ramsay in July 1923, and the new building was opened by the Prince of Wales on 27 November 1923. Purpose-built blocks of flats were built for nurses on Tollington Way in the mid-1960s; they were demolished during the 1980s.
Closure and demolition
The hospital was closed due to the reorganisation of the NHS facilities in North London. The Royal Northern Hospital facilities were incorporated into the Royal Free Hospital, University College Hospital and the Whittington Hospital. The hospital was demolished in the mid-1990s to make way to a block of flats; the demolition was delayed when a body was found.
The body was later confirmed as Michelle Folan, who disappeared in 1981. Her husband, Patrick Folan, was later convicted of her murder in 2001.
Royal Northern Gardens
- "Islington War Memorial, Islington". www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Sharma, Om P. (December 1999). "A small United Nations". British Medical Journal 319 (7223): 1468. doi:10.1136/bmj.319.7223.1468. ISSN 0959-8138. PMC 1117202. PMID 10582928.
- "Skeleton could be missing mother". BBC News. 30 June 1999. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- ‘Concrete coffin’ case appeal fails Camden New Journal, 10 April 2003. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Entrance to Royal North Gardens, Holloway". www.geograph.org.uk. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "Royal Northern Gardens Plaque". www.geograph.org.uk. Retrieved 16 March 2013.